ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: van Gogh letters (SEE THIS LINK!!!)

van Gogh letters (SEE THIS LINK!!!)

It is very likely that most of you have already seen this page. It's worth putting here in the forums. You can read the inevitable words of van Gogh.
    LINK HERE

And visit BRIEX van Gogh's THREAD HERE
    Example:
    "Although Iíve already written to you, there are still many things you have told me and to which I havenít yet replied. First that youíve rented a room in Tanguyís house and that my canvases are there, thatís most interesting Ė provided youíre not paying a lot for it1 Ė the expenses still continuing and the canvases still taking their time to bring anything back in, that often frightens me.
    Be that as it may, I think itís a very good step, and I thank you for it, as for so many other things. Itís curious that Maus has the idea of inviting young Bernard and me for the next Vingtistes exhibition, I would really like to exhibit there, while feeling my inferiority alongside so many Belgians who have an enormous amount of talent. That Mellery, for instance, is a great artist. And heís also been holding up for a number of years now. But I would do my best to try to do something good this autumn. Iím working non-stop in my room, which is doing me good and driving away, I imagine, these abnormal ideas.
    Thus Iíve redone the canvas of the Bedroom.2 That study is certainly one of the best Ė sooner or later it will definitely have to be lined.3 It was painted so quickly and dried in such a way that, as the thinner evaporated immediately, the painting doesnít adhere at all firmly to the canvas. This will also be the case with other studies of mine that were painted very quickly and with a thick impasto. Besides, this thin canvas perishes after a while and canít take a lot of impasto.
    Youíve taken some excellent stretching frames, damn it, if I had some like that here to work on that would be better than these strips of wood from here that warp in the sun.
    People say Ė and Iím quite willing to believe it Ė that itís difficult to know oneself Ė but itís not easy to paint oneself either. Thus Iím working on two portraits of myself at the moment Ė for want of another model Ė 1v:2 because itís more than time that I did a bit of figure work. One I began the first day I got up, I was thin, pale as a devil. Itís dark violet blue and the head whiteish with yellow hair, thus a colour effect.4
    But since then Iíve started another one, three-quarter length on a light background.5
    Then Iím retouching some studies from this summer Ė anyway Iím working from morning till night."
    Last edited by Lima; 01-24-2010 at 10:28 AM.

Thanks Oriane, for the link. It is interesting to see the sketches and studies of such a famous painter.... but to read..? I cannot read dutch...you can?Just kidding.:-)

History of art of the very best quality, wow
    Many thanks for the link, orianelima

Thanks Oriane. It is interesting to read one of his letters. I would like to read more about him.

Van Goghs letters are a must read. So sad the guy doesn't think of himself as being as talented as other contemporaries that have proven less memorable over time. That was the saddest thing, he never had a clue as to his importance. How flabbergasted he would be to know what his paintings now fetch.
    "If I could only learn to be humble, I would be so proud." Author Unknown.

Great topic Oriane. I saw and read his letters in the Van Gogh Museum. When I stood there with my nose on Van Gogh's letters, only devided by glass it felt very special to see his handwriting. But above all I liked the phrases and the context and ofcourse his little sketches in those letters. He had often contact with his brother and you see that also this great master had his hesitations about the quality of his own work. He had his struggles during his paint work, how to catch the light etc. Ofcourse (like most famous painters) he became really famous atfer his dead.

Thank you Oriane. Great link. It is wonderful to read these and find out how warm and thinking of an individual he really was, as he is usually portrayed as a mad man. what is amazing to me is the sheer volume of this man's work. He was amazingly prolific as well as being a genius at painting. I never really knew how large a collection of Vincent's paintings there really is. Here is one of the most complete galleries I have found online.
    Set the images per page to 96.

http://www.vincent-van-gogh-gallery.org/
    Last edited by screenpainter; 01-14-2010 at 12:35 AM.

Great post Oriane. It is always fascinating to bring the great legends down to a human level. He shares the same fears all artists have and that to me is comforting to know. Thanks for the post!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    ó Eckhart Tolle

Thanks gzairborne..... for the link to VanGogh pages.... it was really a treat to see...and i must go back... because i do not know his work that much...