Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GALLERY: Dutch summer landscapes with an eyewink to Vincent van Gogh

Thanks for the replies. I had to change the Apostelhoeve wine estate painting to the better. My first painting (original see AR Gallery) was too "Mediterranean". I now got rid of the red baked roof tiles and white chalked walls. Even the blue Mediterranean sky has become now a more Dutch Summer sky. Ofcourse the previous sky was more lively but to me a bit over the top screeming for attention.

Btw the roofs in this update version are now in limestone and the walls in sand stone which are the original construction and architectural materials from this region.

I find it better 'cause it's less romantic, less Van Gogh and painted more to the reality.
    Last edited by Briex; 01-13-2010 at 02:42 AM.

Briex, may I ask.... on what kind and size of monitor are you painting?Are you using two of them, or do you have that huge screened monitor... because when i am painting... i have to see the whole scene constantly, not just the portion i am painting... if i make a sense...bu i still paint on one monitor in much smaller pixels then you do...and have too often to zoom in and out...
    Your paintings look so traditional as Orianes are also... and this is what i want to achieve painting with artrage program. You know, i was accused of cheating, when people thought that my work was done in real oils....i think just AR programs can do this....and your paintings are very much worth of printing, they would look beautiful on anybodys wall...

The roofs: i am a red color freak....something like a turkey, you know... and i would paint the red roofs, it complements nicely with green but you have your own idea and in both ways... very enjoyable to watch your paintings... i just wish i had the same skill as you have....so bring more of pretty paintings... they are a pleasure to look at .....

these are amazing. I think you are very close to his paint style.

OH MY GOD!! I changed the painting again, for the third time. I found the previous sky too plain. I have now also put sky light on the vineyard hill etc.

AT-TA I have an iMac, screen size 1920 x 1200 and works pretty comfortable.

The original ArtRage painting size with this wine estate scenery is 4000 x 2568 pixels, 250 dpi and is in total about 82 Mb. My iMac (with Intell duo processor) can handle it easily.

About the roof tops and building walls. Indeed red roofs and white chalked walls look better but are Mediterranean. Maastricht is the most southern city of the Netherlands, capital of the province Limburg and I have now tried to keep the wine estate's original colours to meet the original situation. The estate has dark baked roof tiles and the walls are build out of local sand stone which they mined from surrounding hills. I want to avoid the impression that this landscape is somewhere in Southern Franc or Italy.

Wine estate the Apostelhoeve (Apostel Farmhouse) is one of the oldest wine estates in the Netherlands: more info at http://www.apostelhoeve.nl. Holland is becoming more and more a true respected wine producing country due to the climate change and counts already many award winning wine estates. Dutch wine volumes are still modest, but the quality is very high and exclusive.

Beautiful painting with your own way of Van Gogh touch. Actually I prefer the first one before you enhanced the sky lighting. The sky and clouds show more contrast on my screen for the first one. Great piece.

Briex,
    Breathtaking landscapes ... breathtaking artistry. What masterful
    wonders on canvas these are. Exceptionally beautiful!
    Mairzie Dotes

These are EXCELLENT! Briex you seem to have really mastered a style (yes is much like Van Gogh) but very much Briex! The colors and design of these are top notch. Brilliant work my friend!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Thanks for the comments. The show goes on. Here my latest. Some wheatfields in the Dutch province Limburg.

Some wheatfields surrounding Beusdael Castle in Sippenaeken in Belgium, viewed from the Dutch border near Epen.

Enjoy!

Briex without words ... just applause.