ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Intuos4 Touchring choppy rotation

Intuos4 Touchring choppy rotation

Hey there!

I really love the new edition! Great job so far
    I have but one little issue that annoys me. The rotation with the touch ring is very choppy, whereas with Alt-Rightclick it's nice and smooth!
    I don't actually know where it originates - at Wacom or you guys, because up til now I didn't have any software capable of using the touch ring, just Photoshop and others for zooming which was also always very choppy.

Thanks!

Depending on how the driver is configured, it is probably just sending out a keyboard equivalent for, say, rotate 10 degrees. So you'd only get 10 degree increments in rotation using the ring, as it sends out a string of 'rotate 10 degrees' key commands.
    However when you're using a click/drag in the canvas, we can rotate in 1 degree (or whatever) increments.

In general, as software developers, we dont try to support every feature of hardware because there are so many different 'standards' of hardware that it is impossible to support them all. So what we try to do is add general means of doing operations which the most hardware vendors support.
    If we tried to support all the hardware means of rotation you would end up with an application that was absolutely perfect at rotating the canvas, but had absolutely no other features at all.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

The driver is configured for Alt-F13 and Alt-F14 - i couldn't even set those, maybe with a virtual keyboard?
    What would be the keystroke for finer increments then? Couldn't find it

I think that Wacom are THE standard. I don't care my SpaceNavigator isn't supported, but imo the Intuos function range should be fully accessible by software meant for use with those tablets. Jumping between tablet and keyboard is a little tedious when the tools are around, but hidden in the basement But I'm not a developer and I don't even manage to program a simple action script, so I can't possible tell how hard this would be - I'll go and bug Wacom with it. If thy managed to implement F13&F14 they might be able to expand their input range to mouse drag or so instead of keystrokes...