ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Van Gogh brush???

Question Van Gogh brush???

While playing around in AR3 today I know I saw a couple of VanGogh tools - but try as I might, I can't seem to find them. I think they would be the perfect tools to help me with the leaves in my Green Man painting.

Also, where would I find a tutorial on resizing stencils. I saved some but when I went to reuse them onanother painting the edges were fuzzy? I need crisp edged 5 pointed stars of various shapes to re-design a business card for a customer/friend.

Thanks so much!
    Beth-Eirene

Seems like you are trying to increase size of stencil, and edges are fuzzing, right?
    Because it's a simple shape, star, you can use any program that work with vectors and make star as large as you need, save it in bitmap and use as stencil

For resizing stencil or move around it, you can check out this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by uuderzo View Post
    Rotate with CTRL + right drag, resize with ALT + right drag, change proportions with CTRL + ALT + left drag (this is strange, i expected right drag).

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...d.php?p=248159

Hope it helps what you are looking for.

Thank You Null and Pai!

Now to find where that Van Gogh brush tool is!

Hi Beth... When you say Van Gogh tool are you talking about a brushes effect or its name? The only paint software I know of out there that has paint brushes named 'Van Gogh' is corel painter (they live in the artist brush catagory). If it was an effect in AR3 then possibly you found it using the sticker spray tool.

With regards to your stencil issue, it sounds like the original artwork you used to make the stencil was a lower dpi than the target piece you're using it in. Make your stencils at the same resolution as you intend to use in the business card and about twice the width and height that you intend for them to be and you should retain your crisp edges.

Hope this helps
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

I think Beth-Eirene used Sticker Tool with preset Van Gogh in Art Brushes cathegory

Upon further investigation it seems that stencils are made 72dpi no matter what resolution they were created at.
    This means that you will need to create the stencil at around 4 times as large (both width and height) as you intend to use them in a 300dpi file or around 2.75+ times for a 200dpi file.

Basically take the end resolution you intend to work with and divide by 72. The resulting number will tell you how many times larger (both width and height) you will need to create the artwork for the stencil.
    Last edited by Juz; 01-09-2010 at 10:33 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Thanks all for the help - will have to still work on the stencil thing.

I found the 2 VanGogh effects in the sticker tool. Played around with it - made a tree.

I have posted my first painting in my gallery. It was fun to make.

Thanks again!
    Beth-Eirene