ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: About capacity

Question About capacity

I have a question about ArtRage 3 capacity - what in a hardware most importantly afflicts it's efficiency?
    I've became concerned about it after I tried to install it on a second computer (ArtRage 3.0.4 Demo version)

Two computers have next configurations:
    1) Intel Pentium 3.00 GHz (2 core), 1 GB RAM, Windows XP SP3, ATI Radeon X700
    2) AMD 3.66 GHz, 768 MB RAM, Windows XP SP3
    There's no much difference I think, but on a second computer program runs much faster than on first
    For example, drawing with Airbrush, tilt angle 100%, 100% size on 1) would cause a gap between cursor and rendered stroke and a slow render, but on 2) there's no gap at all, it all goes quickly and nicely
    OS on both computers are been installed recently, so there's no garbage in system processes that could slow down the system (plus on 1) I lunch a program GameBooster that speeds up a computer, but it makes no effect in ArtRage though)
    Bad thing that I can't use that 2) computer every day, it's in a location different from my common...

So I'm asking again - what is most important for ArtRage 3 to run quickly?
    Last edited by Null; 01-09-2010 at 08:20 PM.

Maybe try running your pentium with Gamebooster in 'back to normal mode'. Gamebooster stops a lot of services that are not needed for games but are necessary for the computers normal operation and which need to run while you're not playing a game.
    Last edited by Juz; 01-10-2010 at 06:30 AM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

With or without Game Booster it's all the same...

Processor speed and RAM are the two most important things. Given that the RAM is higher on the first machine it will probably be the processor making the product faster on the second, that or there is something running on the first that is slowing things down.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

When you say : "Intel Pentium 3.00 GHz (2 core),", is it a pentium 4 processor ? in which case it is far slower than the AMD one you described (and the second core is hyperthreaded, meaning that it does not exist really ... even if hyperthreading is a quite good tech).

If it is not a pentium 4 but something like a core duo, then the 1st processor is faster than the 2nd one (frequency does not everything in terms of speed for processor), and there is something slowing your first computer. If it is a laptop, it is perhaps the energy saving options ?

Quote Originally Posted by Likoum View Post
    When you say : "Intel Pentium 3.00 GHz (2 core),", is it a pentium 4 processor ? in which case it is far slower than the AMD one you described (and the second core is hyperthreaded, meaning that it does not exist really ... even if hyperthreading is a quite good tech).

If it is not a pentium 4 but something like a core duo, then the 1st processor is faster than the 2nd one (frequency does not everything in terms of speed for processor), and there is something slowing your first computer. If it is a laptop, it is perhaps the energy saving options ?
    Yes, it's a Pentium 4...
    It's been a while since I last time looked hardware descriptions and tests...
    Guess I have to fill that gap in my brain)

Thanks to all for your responses

Belarc Advisor will give machine information

If you need it, the Belarc Advisor program (free from belarc com) will give you a profile of your computer.

It has a good reputation and I've seen no suggestions anywhere of privacy concerns.

I use it because I am not any sort of tech.

John Williams