ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: A question about sticker brushes creation.

A question about sticker brushes creation.

How can I create an sticker brush, from a real oil brushstroke image ?

You probably can't, unless you want copies of the same stroke all over your painting.

To approximate the effect, you need a different approach. Try several stickers representing very short bristle marks at varying pressure. Or just tweak the flat oil brush.

Thank you for your anwer Arenhouse.
    I would like to clarify my question a little bit:

a) My main problem is: How to obtain a good sticker brush from a real oil brush stroke?.I mean the necessary steps to get a realistic color,texture an so on.

b)If I can solve the first problem the only thing I have to do for having more variation is to get additional real brush strokes from ,for example, a real painting.
    Last edited by Alexmartin; 01-08-2010 at 03:01 PM.

I suppose you can isolate the stroke, make it grayscale, and use the grayscale image as bump / specularity map for a flat color sticker.

However... the question is why bother?

If you hope you'll get a "real" look to your paintings by using such stickers, you won't. You just won't have enough stickers to make it work, no matter how many you make. Real painting strokes follow the depicted form and artist's intent, and generally make sense only in the context of the painting. Lifting them out of their environment will make them look fake. And it's not about strokes, anyway.

Believe me, just painting will produce a better result, and much quicker, too.

Actually, you can make dabs with a real brush look very realistic, and you can capture strokes designed for specific things, like a waterfall or mountain, import them as stickers, and paint over that with the AR oil brush with layer transparency locked, and that will yield good result. Look for the paintings "Sticker Mountain Scene" and "Purple Hill Scene" in the gallery to see what I am talking about...

There is no such thing as a stroke "designed for something" like a mountain. The stroke in real painting tends to follow the form and to lesser extent texture, not the subject.