Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Out of Chaos Comes... [Alternate Version also added]

Designing and defining reality again I see. You're incorrigible, ya scamp.

Like you took a microscope to Joseph's amazing technicolor dreamcoat looking through the weave for God in it like a pigeon in a magician's coat.

When I was a kid we lived in San Diego at the edge of a construction development, and at a very early stage they had dug all the trenches for the sewers and so on. And I thought that was the coolest thing ever cause you could jump across, and climb down and scale the 8 vertical feet. Dirt clods were everywhere to chuck around and watch explode on the street. And we played hide and seek in over a block or two of this development. The trenches made it really fun.

But then if you think that was cool. . . they framed the houses. And so we had a couple blocks of vertical and horizontal studs and beams which was the most amazing thing in which to play hide and seek. The houses were filled with plug nickels that got punched from the electrical stuff before the multicolored linear wires were filled with electricity. And there were nails and planks of remnant construction wood. Plenty of crap for a young boy to build the niftiest go carts, and forts and skateboards and all kinds of fun stuff.

"Up to a game of Hide and Seek," said God? "I got this great universe that's under construction. Knock yourself out, kid."

But I digress. . .
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

An after dinner desert in some far off galaxy.
    Very first thought was edible candy!

D'Akey, Evart, Saddy, Rob, Robert, Eddie, Iceaxe & Jim: Thank you for the wide ranging feedback from the candy cane LOL's, to the impressions via childhood memories, and the warm appreciations.

D'Akey, in all honesty your description of childhood play mimics much how I see the world. I look at a skyscraper and contemplate the miles of pipe and wire and number of tons of steel and cement and glass and plastic and wood and what have you and where the steel came from and the quarry for the stone and the oil processed to make plastic and the sand to make glass and the copper mine for the wire and the transportation to move it all from raw materials to industrial plants to manufacture construction machines and building artifacts delivered to the hands of workers who with their brains and brawn and everything in between assemble it all in time and space into a monumental collaborative creation. Think of that as a fractal among billions representing every object and creature you see in natures whole unfolding. My head swims somewhere it there. It orients me towards my subject matter, the wellspring I try to draw on when thinking "OK, what the heck am I going to paint next." I really like your little story - it seemed, in a simple way, a map of my experience. It sure gave me a giggle.

Sketch, Rob, Robert, & Jim, thank you for the awesome feedback - you each are way too kind.

Sketch:
    A short answer is most of my paintings are constructed almost like tinker toys. I have an idea, I create all the individual pieces, and then assemble them. A lot of it is a very "mechanical" process, but with a lot of trial and error. I spend more time looking than painting. I never use filters, though I might use the color adjustment tools. I think I've enough iteration saves for this painting to do a little tut demo - I might give that a shot - it would be a lot of fun.

Thanks again everybody. Much appreciated.
    Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well.
    Thread with bunches of my AR paintings-conversations. Here

My process can result in several versions of an effort. Sometimes it's hard to choose which one is "it". I usually like to settle on one and the rest are filed away as also-rans. But after posting today and then reviewing the alternatives, Rosy and I both felt like maybe we preferred an alternate take and I'm posting it here. The basics are the same but the visual with the sparser, cleaner, simpler background delivers a completely different impact (or at least I think so). So, on second thought, here is an alternate take. Your considerations about the differences would be fun to hear if you care to share them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Out of Chaos Comes...Alt-ARUP.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	440.2 KB 
ID:	39395  

I am sorry that my poor English don't permit me to follow all the interesting
    discussions on this Forum, I understand only the half of it,
    when I have the time and energy to read the comments;

I find your very colorful constructions very amusing and in the same time
    interesting. I don't see where you did use the bloop pen, probably in the background.

I will try to look at your work when it will be possible .
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

Byron, always wonderful images you create. Love the imagination and freedom to be creative I see in your images.
    -Dave

Byron thats terrific, everything seems to pop out into view. Great work again
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Dany, Katie, DMerchen - thanks bunches.

Dany, to your gloop pen question: in the second painting, the predominant background forms were made with the gloop pen that I converted to a sticker and then further manipulated with the spray gun settings and various pallet knives.

Byron, you are a magician with this technique and these colors.

Thanks Oriane. You are a magician with everything you touch it seems.