ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agriculture landscape with ArtRage: the dilemma of new media... (long post)

Cool Agriculture landscape with ArtRage: the dilemma of new media... (long post)

Okay, this is my second nature landscape with ArtRage and people, what a fun I had during this painting job. I used my own digi photo picture which I took late Summer 2004.

This is the hilly landscape near the small Dutch farmer village Mechelen (about 4 km from the German border and 2 km from the Belgian border), not to confuse with the Belgian-Flemish city Mechelen. This most hilly part of the Netherlands belongs to the Ardennes mountain ridges. During WW II many allied soldiers (mainly Americans) lost their lifes as the Germans defended their country very heavily here. The allies litterally stood at the German doorstep, ready to cross the German border. Soldiers were suprised by German sniper fire and had to run trough the meadows and forests from tree to tree, jumping over the many farmer fences fearing German troops who were waiting uphill with their machine guns in the bushes at the edges of the forests.

The meadows are in use for cows, however at the time I took the picture the cows were at the farm for dropping their milk or they were moved to other meadows for certain reasons.

Anyway, a photo picture is just a picture and as we all know a painting can say a lot more. Though the modern technique of afterwork in Photoshop brings me often in a dilemma. Now I do not know what to choose. Can you have a look at them and vote for a painting (1,2,3 or 4)? Is it done to harm an original ArtRage painting with Photoshop afterwork?

PAINTING 1
    The 1st paint work is the original painting: it is made first in oil brush with just a little knife direct on the photo picture itself, no layers. Then I repainted the whole with oil brush, white paint: 100% pressure, 100% thinner and 0% load to smoothen my hard painting work. I must say that it works very well to get Renoir's velvet brush work.
    When finished I put some little accents with oil brush mainly for the fore ground details. Ofcourse I exaggerated the colours to get a sunnier painting.

PAINTING 2
    Afterwork with Photoshop CS3: the yellow parts are more yellow aslike the sky received more yellow and cyan to get it warmer. This painting looks warmer and looks as if it is somewhere between Summer and Autumn which it was that time. Ii shows also the afternoon light better than painting 1.

PAINTING 3
    Afterwork with Photoshop CS3: the colours have been brought back and a sepia photo filter is turning the landscape into an adult, full grown Summer.

PAINTING 4
    Afterwork with Photoshop CS3: all colours have been refreshened by covering the painting with a cool, blue photo filter. Just to bring this painting back to near the original photo picture. The grass looks fresh and green and the air wants me to believe that there is no moisture and/or air polution.

Thanks for looking and joining in. Enjoy them!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Briex; 01-09-2010 at 01:23 AM.

I think the painting without the tree branches on the top foreground make the landscape scenery wider and more tranquil. The ground shade on the foreground tells us already that there are trees surrounding us without showing them actually.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Briex; 01-07-2010 at 11:14 AM.

Beautiful. Great job!
    Browse my gift store.
    http://www.zazzle.com/evart_production

Would you like to learn more about how to
    start your own online store? Click the link below.
    http://www.zazzle.com/sell

A stunning view

I agree, getting rid of the tree opens it up better.

I'm not sure I understand the technique. You bring up the picture by opening a jpeg image and then paint right on top of that? Do you use the color picker to select the colors? Photoshop has the "clone stamp tool". Are you doing something like that? Do you cover the entire canvas with paint or is part of the color the original photo?

However you are doing it, the end result looks good.

Have you tried putting a gate or an opening in the foreground fence to make it easier to enter the painting?

First and foremost, you are a hell of a painter and I think these paintings are remarkable.

Now to answer your question about the foreground branches:

1. Your style doesn't lend itself to linear things all that well, so spindly little branches are by nature going to look incongruous in your paintings. And as such you may want to not paint them for that reason, especially in the areas of high contrast because it's so eye grabbing. The wire fence works better than the branches.

2. You might design it better for your composition. It's sorta weakly included. It's almost like you knew the answer before, but thought it might stimulate some interesting participation and mutually educational conversation from which people may develop their eye. I agree that it will.

3. A foreground element would not be bad in and of itself. It's how and what you choose to include that makes it. I think if you had something solid that cooperates with the rest of the picture, you would have possibilities.

4. I agree with what was said, it clutters the picture in this case.

5. Did I mention you paint at a very high level in the direction you have chosen? Really fantastic colors. And I love your stylization of the landscape. You simplified it and it lends a perfected, seamless experience of color and order.

Last edited by D Akey; 01-07-2010 at 02:54 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I love the first one.
    Looks really pure. The sort of violet sky makes it really look painted. Just perfect.

Strange enough I like the fourth as well. but only becauses that's exactly the way the dutch landscapes always look like in summer.
    Green grass to blue skies.

But, I prefer the first one
    Simply never Satisfied
    IQ

Briex - outstanding possibilities demonstration. Your skill is jaw dropping. They are all far above competent, but since you ask: I'm with IIQ, painting number 1. Somehow the mix of colors and the purple sky provide, for me, a more complete mix of form, line, and color that give the picture more visual interest. All the other paintings are great, but there is an homogenization across the forms that makes them, while beautiful, less visually interesting.

To me the tree issue is a tough one. It's my view that the composition needs something hefty on the left, either moving off the canvas or completely in it to anchor your eyes. A discovery in taking the tree out is the observation that the painting seems to not have a strong focal point. It's obvious when those branches are removed. Those limbs stretch into the upper left segment "rules of three" composition scheme and initially provide an anchor for getting into the painting. Take away the limbs and -- where should the eye go first? I find I drift away.

To sum: The skill in the painting is astounding. Addressing the composition would elevate the effort to a masterwork. For pure visual interest, I'm personally more attracted to #1.

THIS WAS A COOL EXERCISE. Post more. They are fun.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

First off - this is an excellent painting and like DA said, you are a fantastic artist!

This is a dilemma I have dealt with quite often in my own paintings being that I am 90% photo reference with my work. I feel my job as the artist is to take the reference (sometimes more than one) find the right palette, and in some way create a visual experience that delivers or offers more to the viewer than just a captured moment in time (the photo). Sometimes I get this right and sometimes I don't! And in the end, the only one that needs to feel this has been met is you!

I do feel I like the open composition without the tree limbs and I prefer the warmer colors over the blues.

Fine work Briex!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

My process is somewhat the same. There are many directions to go when creating an image from a reference. If you map out all of them, I think you lose focus on what it was that first sparked your imagination. I have stacks of tried, and unfinished ideas that either didn't work, or I lost my focus on. Also, Using ref photos can take you in directions you didn't intend. Don't get me wrong - I use tons of photo ref's, but I have the image completely composed in my head before I ever start the mechanical process of bringing it to fruition. Jeeze - I just reread this, and it sounds like jibberish!