ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: DV style

DV style

so I've recently decided I'm going to try to reproduce art styles I really love. I've done it some, but not enough to really nail down anything I'm happy with, so I'm working off of Digital Viscocity's work here and trying to come up with something that is similar, yet mine in some way. I'm using a couple of ref pix, primarily one here as well as a few for birds and such. Wish me luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fantasy chick.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	39139   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fantasy chick2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	39140  
    Early to bed early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes - Orson Scott Card

Uhoh. Well, DV's looked weird at this state too...

Name:	fantasy chick3.jpg 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	39143  
    Early to bed early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes - Orson Scott Card

Slowly starting to get happy with the background. Starting to understand what DV is talking about with his "4000 layer" business: I have... 14 open at the moment, and I've merged three or four...

Name:	fantasy chick4.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	39146  

huh. Well, the number of layers has blossomed to 17 and shows no sign of stopping. I have made my line work invisible for some reason... I felt it was the right thing to do I guess. I'm leaving the woman for the end because I'm afraid I'll mess her up and give up. I'm having a great time learning about some of the different ways layers interact at low opacity and weird bump/blend modes and I don't want to loose a perfectly good learning session by ruining the picture just yet. I should have done a lot of things differently, but that just goes to show that I'm learning stuff. Excellent. Anywho, here's an update before I hit the sack for the night.

Name:	fantasy chick5.jpg 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	39148  

Gray, this is coming along very well on each one. I really like it already. Take your time.

This is lookin good Gray! I like the addition of the bird. It helps bring in the fantasy!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Great project Gray. On this edition - progress IS being made. Challenging.
    Keep at it - you're getting there. And I love the colors you're playing with in this exercise.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Looking good.
    I have this constant fear that something will go wrong and I will not be able to backtrack and end up ruining a perfectly good piece. What I do, is save frequently so if I make a huge uncorrectable mistake I can always just close and not save and have the saved copy to return to.
    After doing something particularly difficult, I use the save as and use a different file name just to make sure I don't accidently lose the whole thing.

A couple of times I was merrily going along and suddenly Windows XP pops up and says" fatal error, windows must close, sorry" then it proceeds to blank the screen out and the computer died. Hasn't happened for a while after reinstalling XP but the fear lingers.

Anyway, great work so far. Looking forward to the rest.

You're doing really well so far. Can't wait to see it finished.
    Windows XP (SP3), Pentium 4 @ 3GHz, 2Gb RAM. WACOM Bamboo MTE-450. ArtRage 3 Studio Pro