ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bird of Paradise Flower

Bird of Paradise Flower

Hello, I have just been having fun with the new ArtRage Studio Pro.

This was done in an evening while hubby was watching the footie, using the watercolour and pencil tools. The pencil was used to trace the photo then I used the reference of the photo to choose the water colours using the pencil guidelines. The background is on one layer and the rest on another with the pencil on a third layer. Great fun in every way, and eco friendly into the bargain.

What more can I say, but to say be kind, I know I have to work on the contrast a bit, but any criticism welcome as I'm self teaching with art and technology which is why I thought I would pop this post into the WIP. I'll update with my progress in true spirit of the WIP forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    TeresaW
    My Art blog can be found here and
    PaperTree's Images in the ArtRage Gallery can be found here.

Nice Watercolor! I like the colors you chose and the Bird of Paradise is an excellent subject to paint. Well done and Welcome to AR!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

I like this. You have the shape and colours right; I agree with your comment about cranking up the contrast a bit.
    For me, I think the "halo" is a little strong and could do with some softening with the palette knife so that the flower is the strongest focal point. Just my opinion; others may disagree.

Other than the above comments, I think it is a very nice study. Well done, and good going for doing it all within a game of footie

Thanks for the lovely welcome to AR

Thanks very much Sketchism71 and MikeMc, and thanks for the lovely welcome.

To me the flower looked tricky but when I got down to it, it was easier than I thought. I shall take you hint about the smoothing out with the knife MikeMc and post the follow on version here as I go. To be fair it was a night where there were two football games back-to-back, and I had already done a real live pencil sketch in the garden of the flower so I already had the hand eye coordination sort of mapped out in the brain already. I have to say I surprised myself and hope it wasn't just beginners luck. Hahaha!
    TeresaW

Artists Update

I took your advice, and worked on the painting a little more. I think I am happy with this and have called it finished. I think now I will pop it onto the Gallery so it gets wider viewing. Hope you don't mind looking at it twice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bird of Paradise Final.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	39363  
    TeresaW

To quote Professor Higgins, "I think she's got it!

Somehow it seems to me the first one had more depth to it. Not sure why, maybe someone else will mention that and say why that is so. Nice work. Very pretty piece.

I like this one much more. For me, it looks finished now. Nice !

Thank you for your feedback it really helps

I popped this photo of the painting in the Gallery, but strangely enough it didn't show up with all the pictures in the Newest 9 Images area, I don't know why. It also doesn't show up in my "Images in Category: PaperTree's Images" area when I enter the Members List and find my name. Don't know why that is either.

I'm very happy with the feedback though, so people must be able to view it. I'm sure as I get up to speed on how Forums work I will find out why.

Docsmith626: Thanks for your faith. I know, an artist is their own worst critic, but I have tons to learn I know. But as long as the getting there is fun, why worry? Your faith in my ability gives me faith to continue. Tar muchly.

carlcath: I know what you mean. I had a look at some of the tutorials and they seemed to be using 150dpi, so I changed the canvas to A4 Portrait and 150dpi size. I don't know if that had any effect on how you see it.

MikeMc: Thanks for your opinion, which I am in agreement with, if not for you, I would not have thought of using the palette knife with watercolour. It made me think outside the box.
    TeresaW

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by PaperTree View Post
    I popped this photo of the painting in the Gallery, but strangely enough it didn't show up with all the pictures in the Newest 9 Images area, I don't know why. It also doesn't show up in my "Images in Category: PaperTree's Images" area when I enter the Members List and find my name. Don't know why that is either.
    I figured it out, how to get the pictures into my personal gallery. I knew I would. Thanks for your patience with me, sorry for the multiple views of the same work.
    Last edited by PaperTree; 01-08-2010 at 01:58 AM.
    TeresaW