ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Films of 2009

Favorite Films of 2009

Happy New Year to everyone! What were your favorite 3 films of last year?

Here are mine:

3. Inglorious Basterds (flawed but it had touches of Tarantino's genius)
    2. Watchmen (The best comic book adaption ever. Not sure if it added anything new to the Watchmen saga, but still was one of the most enjoyable films of last year).
    1. Let the Right One In (Slow, brooding, and best vampire/revenge/love film in a very long time ...)

Happy new year Jester
    The only one I can think of that I really enjoyed was 'District 9'... sorry i'm still two short
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Don't think i have any favs of 2009 myself. Maybe Sherlock Holmes?

For some reason 2009 wasn't my favorite year for movies.

Nevertheless District 9 stood out way above the rest. By far it is one of the most original movies I've seen in a long time - completely out of left field, not really like anything that came before it. I plan to watch it several more times.

Likewise, I thoroughly enjoyed The Watchman - super undertaking that I felt succeeded brilliantly against all odds.

I also liked Inglorious Bastards immensely, but Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2 is such an enormous hurdle to jump. It didn't quite make that particular leap.

And visually Avatar has to be given high praise, though the story is just too mundane to elevate it despite remarkably well conceived and executed action sequences.

And I liked the new Star Trek movie, if for no other reason than the nostalgia value. No, it wasn't GREAT but I had a thoroughly good time and was surprised they pulled it off as well as they did. It could have been disastrous. I give them high marks for pulling off an almost impossible prequel.

I have not seen Holmes but have high-hopes for it. [EDIT: Saw Holmes today. I did like it quite a lot - thought it was marvelous - far better than the average popcorn movie.]

I haven't seen many of the Oscar contenders - so maybe there is good stuff I've missed.

But it did seem the offerings in 2009 on the whole were unusually slim (????), or maybe I just missed all the other good ones????
    Last edited by byroncallas; 01-04-2010 at 06:12 PM.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

I agree about District 9, this was another great movie of the year. I hope they decide to make a sequel for it. Avatar was very good too, though I think Aliens is Cameron's best film.

I Love You Man. Favorite comedy in a long long time.
    Especially for Rush fans. "Slappin' da bass man". You know who you are.

Also enjoyed Jules and Julia, 500 Days of Summer, and Taken.

I really look forward to seeing Up and Where the Wild Things Are.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 01-04-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Loved District 9, thought it was brilliant. Inglourious Basterds was a decent film as well.

As far as Avatar went, the effects were certainly amazing but the plot, characters and dialogue left me cold... and as for the whole "unobtanium" thing, seriously, why not just call it MacGuffinite? The complete lack of logic was another big minus on my end... I mean, the visuals and massive amounts of "blowing stuff up" are cool, but the plot holes are SO gaping and SO obvious that it kind of ruins the whole thing. The entire movie feels like a poor excuse to have a massive explosion-fest with a bit of "Noble Savage" and "Eco-Parable" thrown in on top. None of the characters retain any sense of internal logic and they just seem to be doing random stuff to advance the (extremely dubious) plot with no consistency.

When you go to see Up try to see it in 3D so that you can wear those funny glasses and no one will be able to see you crying like a baby in the first 10 minutes of the film. The Pixar folks are magicians and really know how to tell a story that not only entertains little kids but also big kids. Can't wait to see Toy Story 3 also!

I just heard that Avatar has grossed 1 billion already. It just came out. wow.
    1000 million dollars....

He got a lot of flak when he proclaimed himself the King of the World in his Oscar acceptance speech for Titanic, but I guess he was correct partially and Cameron really is the King of Hollywood if not the World!
    Last edited by Jester2001; 01-04-2010 at 05:35 PM.