ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Duplicate layer" blurs the duplicate

"Duplicate layer" blurs the duplicate

Hello,
    I noticed something I'd call a bug in ARStudio Pro - I duplicated a layer, then duplicated the duplicate etc. several times... Each new duplicate is more blurry than the previous one. Needless to say, I want all the duplicate layers to be identical, that is crisp and not blurred... I attach a part of my image to make it clear what I mean.
    Thanks in advance for any info on this bug, and possibly a way to cure it...

Mikolaj
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArtRage Studio Pro.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	39070  

2. Using AR Studio Pro 3 / OSX 10.6.2

Well, tried your technique here, no blurring at all...
    (which medium are you using...?)

Regards
    Nolan

Hi Nolan,
    I'm using the Ink Pen. Perhaps it's a problem with the antialiasing...?
    I'm working on AR Studio Pro 3.0.5 on Mac OS X 10.5

Mikolaj

BTW, the blurring - though not so strong - occurs if I duplicate one layer several times (the same layer, not the duplicates, as I did previously).

Mikolaj

Can you tell me how you're duplicating the layer, and what size is your painting?
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

The size of my painting is 3473x2668 at 300 dpi. I duplicate the layer with the "Duplicate layer" command in the layers palette. I tried two methods: making a duplicate and then duplicating it, then duplicating the duplicate of the duplicate and so on; and making many duplicates of the original layer. In the second case, the blurring was not so evident, but there was still some after making two or three copies...

Mikolaj

Were you moving the duplicate layers at all after each duplication?
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Yes - of course. The point of duplicating the layers was to have one drawing repeated several times - as you can see in the image I posted. So to achieve this I had to move the duplicate layers.

Mikolaj

Quote Originally Posted by mikolajkamler View Post
    Yes - of course. The point of duplicating the layers was to have one drawing repeated several times - as you can see in the image I posted. So to achieve this I had to move the duplicate layers.

Mikolaj

Sorry if by asking that question I came off as sounding stupid... Though, It might help you to know that by keeping the zoom at 100% and then moving the layers, you won't get that blur.

(EDIT) - And that's because Artrage then places the layer on a whole pixel, FYI.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 01-04-2010 at 04:17 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I'm also experiencing a degradation of the image similar to what mikolajkamler described, not just with duplicating the layer but also by using the transform tool to move the image. With each move the image becomes worse and worse (more and more blurry). Note that I'm not using the transform tool to adjust the size or rotation, just to move it around.

AR3 StudioPro
    Mac OSX 10.5.8
    2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

*edit*
    I just re-read what you wrote Someonesane and kept my zoom at 100% and you are right, there is no degradation with the image. This is a good temp fix, thanks for pointing that out. Still though, I would like not to have to remember to make sure the zoom is at 100% each time I move something. Do you think this is something they will change in the future?
    Last edited by sirsilas; 01-04-2010 at 08:49 PM.