ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Brush Preset Highlight

Brush Preset Highlight

Hi

It is very convenient the the brush preset that I select is highlighted and stays so when I use the tool. A glance back at the preset list tells me what I was working with.

If I modify the preset - for example, change just the size, the preset becomes un-highlighted. When I get involved in painting, I may switch between tools and when I go back to the original preset with the tool that has been modified, I have no way to alert my head which variant I was using. I have to do a trial and error stroke to see what I was using. Very frustrating.

Does anyone have any solutions besides maybe stopping and writing down the tool before switching to another one?

Goofy request, right?

Jim

A tool have the standard settings and your particular brushes,
    if you don't save the brush you wouldn't have it unless you write down on a paper next to your your settings that you are experimenting,
    like this you wouldn't have too many presets,
    I hope to answer to your question.
    "All are about quiet and light." Dany
    Daily Studio Notes , Daniela Ionesco-Fine Art

I accept critics only from friends,
    how about You ?

Hi Again Dany51,

No, actually, you did not answer my question. Let me try again.

When I select an oil preset the name of the variant turns blue so I know that is the brush I have to work with.

If I go to another brush category and work with another brush and come back to the original oil brush, it is still the active brush in that category and the blue color is still there. I know that that is the brush variant that I last used in that group.

NOW, if I modify a preset by increasing the size of the brush, the blue disappears. So If I go off to another brush category and return to the Oils again, the blue does not indicate which brush I last used..... So I sometimes don't remember the last one and that is where the problem is.

If the blue remained even though the variant has been modified that would help....... Or better still if it would turn red (for example) to indicate that that brush was the last I used, but the red color would mean that it is changed from the default configuration.

Oh, I hope I make sense. AND I hope you will be willing to give it one more try to help me out!

Cordially,

Jim

Yes, "sticky" presets that don't lose their tweaked settings are a good idea.

Each preset should memorize its current settings and stay selected. It would require a "back to default" button that reverts the preset to the settings it was created with, so any "damage" you make is not permanent.

Also, while we're at it, how about a tear-off palette for putting brush presets in? So that I don't have to make two clicks to pick from menus when changing tools, but rather have a "box" with, for example, three brushes, airbrush, two palette knives and a pencil?

Howdy!

You and I are of like minds with our "affair" with the brush presets. In order to piggyback on your thought....How about adding the ability to save the brush presets selected outside of AR so the actual ones that were used with a project could be kept within the project folder? That way one could return to a project at a later time and know exactly which tools went into its making.

Oh, sigh! Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Jim