ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archimedes

Archimedes

I've been working on a comic recently with my brother (who keeps telling me he'll join the AR forums) and I've been working on some experimental fast art styles. This took just over 20 minutes to paint. If you have any ideas for making this type of thing faster, I'd love to hear them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	archimedies.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	350.5 KB 
ID:	39027  
    Early to bed early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes - Orson Scott Card

Nice, very nice work Gray
    Browse my gift store.
    http://www.zazzle.com/evart_production

Would you like to learn more about how to
    start your own online store? Click the link below.
    http://www.zazzle.com/sell

Excellent. I think 20 minutes is pretty fast Gray. You're pulling our legs, right.

Great work.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

I like this, its fun, interesting and not fussed over, and sometimes all of that comes from setting an alarm for however many minutes and stopping when it goes off, interesting things can happen when you do that, and a by product is you will get faster from the practice.
    But then again, whats the hurry?
    "If I could only learn to be humble, I would be so proud." Author Unknown.

Nice illustration and character design! Well done!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    — Eckhart Tolle

Very cool Gray. Love the texture effect of the chalk over the paint.

When I took figure drawing many years ago they used to get us working fast by limiting a pose of a model to one minute before switching the pose. Its a great way to be confident about your line or gesture as you truely dont have the time to worry or perfect. You could try the same thing with a series of photos or characters... see what you can capture in 3mins, then 1 min then 30 secs.
    Last edited by Juz; 01-03-2010 at 09:34 AM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

I think if you just start with this basic style, and stay with it, it will get faster & easier. All the perameters are in plce, all you have to do is repeat, repeat, & repeat!

Gray this is a great illustration.
    Valerie

Sure. Do it more. Speed comes.

Also I would not shoot for speed before you have a look. Things that are designed to be done quickly work mostly when one is advanced enough to know where and how and still retain the essence.

You're story telling first and foremost, and so you have to look at the acting and the body language and poses. Otherwise you have to be SouthPark and zing it to the reader using sensation and outrage and rule breaking and all that. Or Peanuts falls into that category in a more normal way.

Had SouthPark's voice been weak it would not have flown probably. And early Matt Groening (the Simpsons) did some lame ass looking characters in a strip I think he did for free for years called Life in Hell that he published in some campy free press counterculture scene venues. And it really worked in that context. In fact it became part of that look like Ralph Steadman became the look for Hunter S. Thomspon and Pink Floyd for a while. So a weakly drawn style can suddenly become ground breaking genius if you start showing audience numbers.

Primitive is fine and you may find an audience using the same kind of Garage Band writ large like ACDC in which any old body can do it. That's another kettle of fish.

(Really general rule of thumb about speed and repetitive work) If you want to have speed, look to simplify your images. And create a formula for how you are going to quickly and roughly block it in and then add detail and clean it up.

Oh and of course, speaking of South Park, you may want to consider having a style composed of re-usable elements.

And then there's the cartoons where the visuals make it, like old Mad Magazine stuff like Mort Drucker, or Tex Avery or Ren And Stimpy exaggeration. Then you have to develop your skill. And like I said, you get way faster over time.

Good luck and have fun.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream