ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: greenhorn question #27b

greenhorn question #27b

Good day everyone. I hope you will bear with me since I am new to computers having never touched one until recently. Needless to say, trying to learn everything at once is a hard row to hoe.

Can I assume that if I leave AR3 on the default settings on a new painting (screen size 1510 x 881, 72 pi) that I can attach it to a post to this forum without resizing or changing anything?

I try to find the answers in the manual and on these forums but usually get hopelessly lost somewhere along the way. Thanks for any help.

Hi Angel,

first save your painting as a jpeg image ....then when you post, click on "manage attachments" and then go to where you saved the jpeg and upload it.
    Da go Te'
    Best to you

Peter............
    Have a listen to or buy my music : http://www.reverbnation.com/playlist...artist_3522106
    and the Aubrey Small website:http://www.aubreysmall.com/
    My Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010972992278

... but you will have to resize it to a max of 800x800 pixels and no more than 488k file size.
    Best thing to do is to export your AR image as a .PNG file type and then use a third party application for resizing and converting to .JPG for uploading to the forum. The .PNG file will be a higher quality in case you want to print your image but even downsized may still be to big a file to upload here.

Thanks for your replies, gents. Looks like it's back to the drawing board for me. My traditional art, while not on a par with either of you, is better than my understanding of the technological hoops one must jump through to draw a picture. Arrrgh!

Hi angelchaps,

Quote Originally Posted by RobertSWade View Post
    ... but you will have to resize it to a max of 800x800 pixels and no more than 488k file size.
    Bad Robert! :-) No! The maximum is 2000 x 2000 pixels. The 488k is correct.

It's kind of sad how complex this has gotten. NEEDLESSLY complex, I might add! A bit of history: Photoshop is set up for people who print magazines, newspapers, etc. They have *physical* layout restrictions: they need, for example, a three inch by four inch image to fit into the layout of their eight inch by eleven inch sheet of paper. Oh, and their printing presses have specific dots per inch (DPI) settings that they have to match to. So they have to do the math to figure out, gee, three inches by 300 DPI... that's 900 dots in one direction, to fit my layout, for my printing press.

So Photoshop was set up to do the math for them.

VASTLY unfortunately, now people who DO NOT need to hit some specific layout or some specific DPI think that they HAVE to know this information, because hey, Photoshop is asking them for it!

So for the screen, feel free to ignore DPI entirely. Really! Just ignore it. That goes for posting here, too. Our monitors will never ever ever know what DPI you set up. It's all just dots.

You can, in fact, post any size image you want, as long as the file winds up smaller than 488k, of course. Feel free to ask if you don't know how to find that number. The forum software will size it down to the right number of dots, BUT in a feat of politeness, it will automatically arrange that when you click the image, you'll get a new window with the original size.

Does that make sense? Please let us know if it doesn't. There are other threads that talk about minimum/maximum DPI for printing around, some of them sticky so they're easy to find. Again, ask if you need a pointer.
    Last edited by yachris; 01-02-2010 at 06:48 AM.
    WARNING: ArtRage can cause serious loss of time, and excessive smiling! Use with care! Frequently!

“All creativity is an extended form of a joke.” – Alan Kay

Well dang! Thanks for trying folks but I believe that I'm out of my element here. When I said greenhorn, we're talking _major_ green here. I have my apple dummy book open at my side at all times.

I understand the basic concept of pixels and dots per inch but not how one arrives at maximum size, etc. I don't understand if the type of paint (oil, watercolor) increases the size.

If I open a new file and use all of the default settings for size and tool settings and paint a simple picture on a single layer must I then resize it before I post it? Or will saving it as a png do the trick?

If I were printing these first attempts (which I'm not) they would all be for my 8x10 epsom so one set of parameters would do for everything, would it not?

Sorry for being so thick headed but I am trying. Thanks for your patience.

As yachris said, you might be trying to make things hard on yourself . Your apple book probably won't help much here, but I'm sure it will come in handy in other situations.

The final size of your file (file size, not printing size) will depend on the amount of detail and colours in your painting, as well as the dimensions of your painting in pixels. Simply put, the more stuff in your picture, the bigger the file will be. There's quite a difference even in small pictures like the ones I've attached here as examples.

The print size (DPI) you choose will not effect the file size. The same picture at 300 DPI or 72 DPI result in the same file size. They will look identical on your computer, and on this forum.

The type of paint you choose, won't effect the exported file. That information is stored only in the ArtRage specific files, not your exported png's or jpg's

If you want to find the size of your file after it's been exported, right click on the file and choose Get Info (I think that's how it works on my Mac, I'm on my PC right now) In windows, right click and choose properties.

In the samples here, the simple house has a file size of 3.73 kb, the detailed house has a file size of 29.1 kb. They are both png files.

And finally, if you export as a jpg, the file size will be smaller but you will likely lose some of the detail. The detailed picture as a jpg is only 12.6 kb -half the size of the png. So if your painting is too big as a png file to be posted here, you can export it as a jpg, and it might just fit.

Don't give up! Maybe this helps a bit...?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Wow, Lee....if that didn't help angelchaps, it sure helped me! Very nicely and clearly explained...thanks a bunch!

Thanks again to all of you for your generous help. I believe Lee was finally able to penetrate my thick head with the use of his (her?) little crayola. If I understand correctly, I get this picture:

An 8x0 surface covered with 1" white cubes will always have 80 cubes. An 8x10 surface covered with 1" dice, with spots on them, will still have 80 cubes but will be a larger file due to the added information .... the spots.

Lee, you also mentioned that the dummy books wouldn't be of much help in this case. I understand that but I need to constantly refer to them to find out how to move from here to a third party, alter things there and move back here. Thats the main problem .... lack of basic computer skills.

Yachris mentioned "stickies" but I just figured out what they were. I realize that all of the information I need is within reach but finding it all, when I need it, gets troublesome.

Back to the manual and AR3! Thanks again for your generosity.

Hey angelchaps - no offense meant with the book thing. I've been interested in computers as a hobby since dirt was invented. First computer was an Atari 800XL in the 1980's. At least once a week I need to google a "how do I" question that seems simple and basic once I get the answer.

I see by your profile you're retired, in the foothills of the rockies. I'm an old retired guy too, but I'm stuck in the cold Canadian prairies (-40 degrees the day before yesterday) so I'm a little jealous of your balmy scenic location.