ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Change Stencil Color

Question Change Stencil Color

Apologies if this has been brought up before; I did a search and didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I ventured to make a new thread.

I've just discovered the awesomeness of stencils and am now using them as clipping masks to keep areas of paint from going outside my line art. As much as I love them, however, I have to admit that staring at the default red while attempting to shade red hair can be quite hard on the eyes after a few minutes of concentrated staring! While I know that I can change the mode of the stencil in order to change its color, I was wondering if there is any way to change only the color and leave the mode alone? Right now, I'm using stencils set to the ruler mode, but only as a compromise; I'd much rather use stencils as stencils than have to change their purpose just to switch their color.

If the option to change stencil colors doesn't exist, could it possibly be implemented so that, if necessary, users could select custom colors for stencils, rulers, and guides? Or else some way of adjusting the stencil tint transparency? I and my myopic eyes would highly appreciate it! Thanks and best wishes for a Happy New Year!
    Last edited by cookiesntea; 12-31-2009 at 07:56 PM.

No only changing the mode, but i can see how it would be handy to change the colour to what ever you like, just need another way to notify the user of what mode your in is all
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power

Quote Originally Posted by Silentman View Post
    No only changing the mode, but i can see how it would be handy to change the colour to what ever you like, just need another way to notify the user of what mode your in is all
    Maybe to avoid confusion, there could be a section under preferences where users could choose colors for each mode, in much the same way we can choose a custom color for panels right now. That way, it would still be possible to tell the mode of a stencil by its color, but at least the color could be changed if necessary.

Hope that made any sense at all, lol. Although you do raise a good point; I wouldn't want to cause more confusion by this possible feature, that's for sure.

Rose Madder Genuine on Stencils is impossible!

There seems to have been try little action on this thread--maybe its been elsewhere--but I really could use different coloured stencils now, since I'm trying to paint over them with Rose Madder colour, which is pretty much identical to their tint. Very frustrating!

Or perhaps even better would be to have the stencils still work when hidden--then you'd see colour effects immediately.
    Last edited by Dreagthe; 07-08-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreagthe View Post
    Or perhaps even better would be to have the stencils still work when hidden--then you'd see colour effects immediately.
    Please see this trick
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...cil-visibility

---
    PS - At the same time, I would like
    could it possibly be implemented so that, if necessary, users could select custom colors for stencils, rulers, and guides? Or else some way of adjusting the stencil tint transparency?
    I♥ArtRage

[QUOTE=~Alena~;415796]Please see this trick

Wow, can't wait to give that a try--thanks heaps for pointing it out Alena.

[QUOTE=Dreagthe;416624][QUOTE=~Alena~;415796]Please see this trick

I did give it a try, but I've had no luck at all. I'm starting to think perhaps there is a different user experience from PC to Mac. When I press H or V it just flips the canvas horizontally or vertically and disables painting. And I can't get anywhere trying to drag and left click (just paint I guess) and hiding and unhiding the stencil only does exactly that.

I've also seen posts here about using <F6> to toggle stencil visibility. That does nothing. Perhaps it only worked in older versions of art rage, or it only works on a PC.

Feeling very dumb. :-(

...Brett