Thread: Powerful but completely intuitive Blending options

Gallery
    View images

Powerful but completely intuitive Blending options

Hi everyone,

Does anyone else like the idea of a toggle that can turn nearly any of the drawing or painting tools into a blending brush or clear blender pencil?

I certainly do

It would simply allow you to use any of the tools with "clear" instead of a color.

with one simple, easy to understand toggle button, there would be a huge range of blending options that simulate tons of natural media techniques! Like blending with a clean brush, or a clear wax crayon or colored pencil.

I currently fine the palette knife a little limiting and hard to control as compared to the smear tool in Photoshop...

thanks for listening

Gallery
    View images
    8) 8) I like that one a lot..............

("sure, how hard can it be ? ")
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Gallery
    View images
    Oh, nice idea, just smearing your artwork. It seems like a very ideal alternative to the knife tool. I like the knife tool but i get what you are saying about just the raw smearing/smudge effects for all tools being handy. One could get some lovely combination of blends going on with this type of feature

Gallery
    View images
    Jimminy Crickets. . . I thought for a second it already existed and I just missed it. What a convincing mock-up. My heart went pit-a-pat.

I think it's a super idea. The palette knife is great and to my knowledge unique, but limited. Bob Ross was a great starting point for sure.

But I really like this suggestion. . . please oh please can we have it por favor. (pick a language).

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Gallery
    View images
    Hey Andy, what do you think of this nifty feature suggestion?

Gallery
    View images
    I agree that the palette knife can take alitte while getting used to, but in my experince it is vastly superior over the photoshop smearing which tends to use a extreme blur to blend the pixels.

While I think a new blend button is generally a good idea, I would much rather see dedicated blending tools in the form of round brushes, square brushes sponges, cloth (for pencils) and possible others too.

The blending tools could be listed in the tools wheel where the eyedropper tool is now (i never use the toolbutton itself as pressing <Alt> is much faster).
    Lead Concept Artist - NDS Denmark
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com

Gallery
    View images
    It seems to me that the goal with all of the tools in Artrage is to offer as much versatility as possible while keeping it as simple, intuitive (and true to actual art mediums) as possible. I can't think what is more simple and intuitive that telling Artrage you want to use any of the pre-existing tools without any pigment (just as is often done in real life) to blend art....

Obviously, whether or not the Photoshop blend tool is "too" blurry or that the knife is superior is a matter of taste. Is not the goal to accommodate as many peoples tastes and techniques with the fewest possible amount of menu's, buttons, and tools?

I would assume, that most of these Artrage tools, if not used with color, and especially with not too much pressure on the stylus, would offer a wonderfully specific texture to the blend.... but for those who want or need the very smooth, and very controlled "blurry" blend of Photoshop, they could simply use the brush tool with the pressure all the way up...(maybe thinner as well).

regards,
    Mike Parent

Gallery
    View images
    well, its hard not to agree with you michael

As most art and art mediums it often boils down to personal taste which to choose and how to use them... And so does every tool in Artrage also.

In the end, it all boils down to what the artrage team thinks fits the general idea of Artrage the most. Lets see what they bring to the table in furture updates of Artrage.

I'm as eager as you are to see what form of blending tools/ideas they come up with...
    Lead Concept Artist - NDS Denmark
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com