ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: where do I place canvas .cpr files? (mac)

where do I place canvas .cpr files? (mac)

I am on a mac.
    I used to find them here:

user>library>application support> artrage 3>Canvases

edit:
    I know where the default canvases are stored now...
    ie:
    artrage 3>show package contents>Contents>Resources>Canvases

I am sorry I am confused with the back and forth locations we had during beta.

Is there an easier way to load a folder of canvases (.cpr) files from within artrage?

I really want to just drop a whole folder of canvases in the right place.

I did search the forum, but must not be using the right terms.
    I also looked in the manual.

I tried to import a .cpr file inside the artrage program. I created a new group called real canvas then hit >import. located the file and it loaded, but when I tried to select it then it gave me a message that a bad paremeter had been passed... please try restarting the application.
    I know that formerly .cpr files worked on a mac even thought they say exe.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 12-31-2009 at 02:40 PM.

The easiest way to make sure you're in the right folder is to launch ArtRage then open the Tools menu, then 'User Content' and click 'Open User Canvas Presets Folder'. Let me know if that doesn't help though.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

yep. that is where I am alright. I then did a get info just to make sure of the location... so to verify that... the current location of canvases on a mac is:

user name>library>application support>artrage 3> resources>canvases

now here is the problem I am having.
    having created a new group.
    import canvas file (.cpr)
    it shows up
    restart app (to be on the safe side)
    go to canvas menu at bottom of layer palette
    select imported canvas
    get a splash screen which says I am an idiot
    just kidding, it says... bad parameter passed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by screenpainter; 12-31-2009 at 02:54 PM.

As an update...

I have now tried just placing the .cpr files in the canvas folder rather than going
    through the import process from within artrage.

=same result>

bad parameter passed splash screen.

It could be a problem with the cpr files you're using. If you create your own preset, then save it ( change settings in the canvas panel, select a category, then click the 'new' button to save the preset and give it a name ), then restart Artrage and attempt to load it, does that give the same error?

Feel free to email me one of the cpr files you're having this problem with and we'll take a look at it here for you.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

two of the files are from flyashy. one from mr. paint. none of them work.
    I will send to you. I will also try to export my own canvas. Which I have not done before, but hey, how hard can it be?

Okay, I have read the manual a couple times about this.

so in order to make an entirely new canvas of my own.
    I need to

1. load a grain (jpg)
    2. play with the settings ie: roughness etc.
    3. save it as a canvas preset (cpr)

perhaps what I am not getting from them is the jpg file that goes with the preset.

kind of like having a preset file for the object spray without the .stk file to go with it.

is this a correct presumption?

ahhh... perhaps they made these presets in ar2 and that is the problem?

I should pay more attention to dates I guess.

I believe this is the problem. They are probably made for ar 2.5 canvases.

And if that is the case. What if I load it into ar2 save the file as a .ptg. Open it in ar3. will the canvas preset then go into ar3?

Thanks,

albert.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 12-31-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Hey, Albert...I hope you don't mind me chiming in here since I don't have a Mac (Windows XP instead) ...but I am having no issues with Flyashy's two .cpr files (FlyGuy1 & FlyGuy2 - which I believe are the ones you're talking about) and any of Misterpaint's canvases that he originally created for AR2.5.

Now, I do save these .cpr files directly onto my disk drive (C:/Program Files) into the Ambient Design program folder for ArtRage Studio Pro/Resources/Canvases/Canvas. When I go to create a New Painting from the File menu and get the pop-up screen, I select my canvas from the Canvas' drop-down menu where it displays my Canvas folder to select the .cpr file of my choice.

I think the problem you're having is because you're trying to select your canvas (.cpr) file from Canvas Presets Folder from the User Content Folder and for some reason, it is not recognizing these .cpr files. I've did a test and loaded these same .cpr files into the User Content Folder and then selected them from there and I got an error on the file(s) as well.

I think it might be a bug! When I take an existing .cpr file and save it as a new preset and then try to use that .cpr file for my new painting, I get the error that it can't read the file (Windows error msg).

So, with all of this being said and to have a way that I know works, save the .cpr file in the Resources file I noted above (not the User Content Folder) and then select the canvas file when you go to create a New Painting (and not through the Canvas Preset Picker). I sure hope this helps you and if I've confused you with anything I've said here, I can also provide some screen shots since I at times do not explain as well as I should!!!
    Last edited by Eileen724; 01-02-2010 at 05:46 AM.