ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A painting that might harm your good mood. Get in the mood...

Red face A painting that might harm your good mood. Get in the mood...

A rainy Tuesday 29 December afternoon downtown. You know those kind of days. Dark weather, thick clouds, sepia colored sky, depressed faces, rain and a temperature of 5˚ C. This is the road along the city hall at the Market in Maastricht (NL). Despite the weather I took pictures because I liked to catch the mirroring wet street and walkway but also the umbrellas. When I started this painting I told to myself to paint it very roughly, basic with large brush strokes. Now it has become again a detailed painting. I might re-paint this scenery another time.

Btw I added the same painting but now with added moisture/damp and a rainy sky. Those items were added with Photoshop. The purity of ArtRage is a bit spoiled by manupulating the painting with Photoshop... Is it done or not done?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Briex; 01-02-2010 at 11:06 AM.

Nice! very nice...

Very good painting.

Briex this is wonderful.
    Valerie

Very atmospheric!
    Here it is hot and windy so I am envious of the weather in this scene!
    Love the colours you've chosen. I don't think it makes that much difference having been through the photoshop wash, mainly the brush detail in the sky but the overall effect remains.
    I think you could do a little more work on the sky if you wanted to, where it meets the tops of the buildings lets down the rest of the image a bit.
    I must add that I love your work so don't think I am criticising you in a bad way. I'm just answering your question about if it is done or not.

I am very impressed with the way you're using this technique. At the risk of being critical, yes I think the photoshop work spoils it a touch. I feel you could have achieved a similar effect by hand, (perhaps painting out the sky as a stencil to allow more precision,) then stroking that out with dry and wet knife tools.

Very lovely work but I feel perhaps you would retain more grain and interest by finishing in artrage rather than photoshop (which I feel has a tendency to flatten things a touch).

Thanks for showing your work... you have inspired me to try something similar, though I am by no means as skilled as yourself. Oh well.

It's a great painting Briex!

Awesome Painting Briex! Love this style!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    — Eckhart Tolle

Another great scene. To me both have different feel the way you did the sky.