ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: max image resolution....

max image resolution....

is there a limit on the resolution of a created image in artrage studio pro? i get and error when trying to create a 10000 x 10000 canvas.

The maximum image size will depend on available RAM. ArtRage has to store a bit more data than many other art programs as it deals with paint thickness, wetness, lighting and so on as well as color. If you're getting an out of memory error, you should find that creating a smaller document will be successful. If you're getting a different error, let us know what it says. As larger painting sizes use more resources, tools will tend to be slower to respond.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

ok thanks dave, guess it just uses more memoery than what im used too(painter) i think the size trade off is worth it though. one more thing then.... painter is limited to one core of any multi processor (for rendering brushes) and 1.2gb of ram, are there such limitations in artrage studio pro or will buying a really good pc be any benefit

We'll be looking into ways of making ArtRage handle larger document sizes soon.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

I always set my dpi to 300 and paint 8 X 10 in. If I want it larger, I wait until I'm done painting to resize.

It doesn't seem to affect my painting (strokes) in any way. So I'm wondering why you would want such a large size to begin with?.

It seems to me it would slow your computer down considerably. So what am I not understanding???

Judith
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne

thanks for the reply andy, i can understand why it is slower than painter in some respects, but things are always a trade off and i am very happy with the thick look of the oils in artrage unlike the clunky digital feel i get from painter when using impasto oil brushes. what i would also like to know is are there currently any limitation in the code of artrage preventing it from using the fully capacity of a modern pc, like the example of painter that i gave above.

In ArtRage we manipulate much more information about paint. We store information about its depth on the canvas, its reflectivity, how glossy it is, whether it is wet or dry, as well as it's colour and transparency.

ArtRage will use up to (I think, depending on your computers memory achitecture) 3.5GB - 4GB of RAM, but until it becomes a 64 bit application it can't use more than that. (A limitation of 32 programs is that 32 bit pointers can only address 4GB of memory space).
    We are looking at more efficient ways of keeping less information in memory and more on disk. The advantage is that paintings can be bigger. The disadvantage is that navigating around paintings becomes slower because more disk access is required.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

thank you that is exactly the info i was looking for. this is a great program i sorry that i didnt discover it b4 now, im having so much fun exploring it. one thing i especially like is the sliders for the oils and the way you used "real" factors for determining how the stroke looks. i am not a fan of the tint/tone color picker though, it feels awkward as a square rather than a triangle. thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith Tramayne View Post
    I always set my dpi to 300 and paint 8 X 10 in. If I want it larger, I wait until I'm done painting to resize.

It doesn't seem to affect my painting (strokes) in any way...
    I'm not so sure about that. Try resizing your painting to 150% or more and look at it at 100% zoom. I can see a large difference. ArtRage isn't vector-based application like Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator, and resizing the painting does affect its quality.