ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruising in Edward Hopper style

Cruising in Edward Hopper style

A nowadays cruising image painted in Edward Hopper style. This means an empty, spacious, desolate, traquility composition soberly painted. I deleted the mainland landscape, the sailing boat for a quiet see with an endless horizon and sober sky. Enjoy it!

Btw I took this image last Summer in North West Greece on a ferry boat to the mainland.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Briex; 12-29-2009 at 07:25 AM.

Great painting. Hopper with only the slightest leanings toward some of the Hockneys I've seen around swimming pools and so on, or a little hint of Wayne Thiebaud. I think it's the bright light and saturation perhaps that makes it a little 60s and after. You seem slightly broader with your marks than Hopper as I assume his originals to be. I may never have actually seen an original Hopper, though I may have. And I recall that his colors were less dazzling and more mixed in the old school way. But no details come to mind. He could have changed over the years and this may be exactly like his.

But the cool thing for me is that it may be that you are now taking it beyond Hopper. Making it your own.

Very nice view of the coast of Greece.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Great painting. Hopper with only the slightest leanings toward some of the Hockneys I've seen around swimming pools and so on, or a little hint of Wayne Thiebaud. I think it's the bright light and saturation perhaps that makes it a little 60s and after. You seem slightly broader with your marks than Hopper as I assume his originals to be. I may never have actually seen an original Hopper, though I may have. And I recall that his colors were less dazzling and more mixed in the old school way. But no details come to mind. He could have changed over the years and this may be exactly like his.

But the cool thing for me is that it may be that you are now taking it beyond Hopper. Making it your own.

Very nice view of the coast of Greece.
    Indeed Hopper's style was indeed a bit less rougher and man he put a lot of time and work in his paintings. Alas he never had the chance to work with ArtRage and a digi camera.

Terrific work
    Valerie

Wow, wonderful. Great colors.

Great painting again Briex, ohhhhhhhhh its lovely to see something warm again
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

This is lovely and I do like your style in this one. The simplicity is breathtaking and the lighting is soooooooooooooo good!

Judith
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne

Thanks all for the comments. I use my digi camera as a foreplay for my paintwork. In fact making pictures is already 'painting'. I always look for the right composition, colours, exceptional scenes and settings. The only disadvantage of photographing is that it is often too plain and often disturbing items (especially in open air sceneries) spoil the picture. Painting has a lot more freedom and that's why I only kept the sea, the boat and the girl in this image, the sky was a self added addition: straight, tight.

Oh, how I love your work, Briex....it's like a breath of fresh air! Your technique and composition is simply wonderful. I rely on my niece to take pictures for me since I lack any talent in that arena. She is an aspiring amateur photographer and I am just in awe of her talented eye to capturing beautiful and meaningful pictures.