ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Portable Version

Gallery
    View images

Portable Version

Hi,

I have downloaded version 1 (free edition) of Art Rage and love it. It can be installed on a USB drive so I can use it anywhere. I understand that the settings for version 2 are stored in the Windows User Profile folder and therefore can't be regarded as a truely portable application as it leaves settings on the PC it is used on.

I would love to buy the full version 2, but I would mostly use it during lunch or quiet periods at work, whenever my artistic inspiration hits me! Unfortunately we are not allowed to install non-approved applications on a work PC. Would it be possible to produce a portable edition of version 2 where settings are stored in the application folder, and no registry entries are made? It could then be installed and run from a USB flash drive.

I have no idea what work would be involved in this so it may be a ridiculous request, but i figured it would be worth a shot!

Thanks!

Jason.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Kadoogan,

I just read that Vista may make this possible again.
    The registry will be a thing of the past and info will be stored with apps.

Experts and Vista Beta users may be able to confirm or deny this.

Phil
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the reply.

I hope that is the case for Vista. I am buying a portable hard drive and it would be nice to be able to run more applications on my work PC, or indeed any other PC, without the need to install on anything other than the portable drive. There are a lot of programs out there that can be used this way, but there are always some useful ones that can't.

As a user that tends to install a lot of applications I 'd love a more simple system where anything to do with a program gets installed in one folder, rather than being left with a load of junk in a registry when you come to uninstall. Should hopefully make system re-installs a less common occurrence.

I have actually purchased version 2 of Art Rage anyway to run at home. It would be nice to be able to use that version on a portable drive though!

Jason.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Jason,

I just went through another total computer meltdown, it takes so long to get stuff back on the new machine!

My dream system would be to have Artrage and other similar stuff on camera cards. They're getting large enough to to cope with that now.

The article I read said tha Vista does not have a Registry system at all.

Phil

Gallery
    View images
    Yeah. My PC at home desperately needs a full re-install, but I'm hoping it'll struggle on through to when Vista is released so I don't have to do two installs in a short time. It's a job I hate doing. Takes a full day to get all the Windows updates installed, and all my programs installed and set up how I want.

If Vista keeps everything to do with a program in the one folder it'll hopefully make backing-up and re-installing easier as it'll be a case of making a backup of the program folder and then copying it back to the new system. With no registry, and settings stored in the folder, the program should just work right away with all your settings intact!

Of course, being Microsoft, it may not end up being that easy. Just that one selling point would be enough to make me upgrade!

I have a 4GB USB Flash drive and have a few programs that can run off that. Similar basis to using a camera memory card. Hopefully Vist will make all this much easier.

Jason.

Gallery
    View images

Portable ArtRage

Hi Jason,

Still playing with the idea of running Full ArtRage direct from a portable memory stick.

Not quite clinched it yet, but Vista seems to be able to do it. I took it as far as an an ArtRage pop-up asking for the licence/registration number. The canvas and tools were all there.

I didn't go the whole way, because the HP Vista machine is only two days old and I am trying to get them to change it for an XP version. So I don't want to clutter it up or confuse it.

Phil

Gallery
    View images
    Well, you could use a couple of batch files to populate the registry and copy over your settings file to the appropriate place, then after you exit have it copy the settings file back to the usb media and clean up after itself. Not truely portable in the strictest sense of the word, but it would leave the machine clean and let you move it from place to place.
    Unless otherwise specified, all images I post are released under Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

Gallery
    View images
    I fully support the idea of a portable version, so much boredom at work and nothing creative to do!

ArtRage 1.1 is ok for now but I would really appreciate being able to work on my layered WIPs at work too.

Plus, while it is cool that Vista does not need a registry anymore it does not matter as long as my home computer runs with XP and work computer with 2k. :cry: