ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Text problem

Text problem

Hi guys..... hole you had a great Christmas...
    Well, I hasve updated AR3 Sp and I am still having a problem.

When I use the text tool and finish.... I goto the knife and it goes back to the text tool. I am not able to do any knifework after using the text tool. hummm the other tools work though. Has anyone else reported this problem?

Sounds odd, can you let me know if you are clicking on the knife tool button or using a shortcut key (and if you have customised your shortcut keys), and if this happens if you go to use the knife on a non text layer specifically rather than clicking on the layer that has text on it?

Quick edit: I can replicate this, the solution is to switch away from the text layer on to a paint layer. If you want to use the knife on your text, Flatten the layer first using the option in the Text icon button at the top right of the text layer in the layers panel.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Matt, I encounter the general "problem" of what to do to exit the text tool. I often encounter the experience that the selected too doesn't apply paint - it seems like the program is locking out the tool. All that's really happening is I'm in a text layer which isn't going to accept the new paint tool.

It's taken me a while to systematically always remember to first select a different layer and then select a tool (the method I've adopted). It would be cool if it could be automated (for example) so that a layer just below or just above the type layer was auto selected when another tool is selected that requires a paint layer in order to activate the tool. Or a message that says "must select a paint layer", or "must flatten layer to apply this tool", for example. This latter is an approach in PaintShop Pro to handle similar kinds of situations.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 12-27-2009 at 09:06 AM.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

This is a specific bug relating to the palette knife. Tools that generate paint create a new layer to paint on if you try painting on a layer that has active text, the palette knife does not.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.