ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please bring back the Zoom/Rotate Canvas tools!

Please bring back the Zoom/Rotate Canvas tools!

I posted this as a reply to a thread in general, but after trying to work around it for a day or two and getting frustrated I thought I might make this request here.

The new Canvas Positioner is no substitute for the old zoom and rotate tools. With the old tools repositioning your canvas was as intuitive as painting another stroke, and I enjoyed being able to easily and quickly reposition my drawing so that each stroke I took was in line with the natural sweep of my hand across the tablet-from the lower left corner to the upper right and back again. Going to the canvas positioner tool removes me from my piece every time I want to make an adjustment and that makes the process less intimate, less enjoyable, and much, much slower.

Not to mention the fact that when I'm *really* into a piece, the whole UI is gone! I don't want to see anything but my canvas. Having this giant puck on the screen is distracting.

Holding down shift or alt and right clicking is no good either. With the old tool I click one button and I make a stroke of the pen just like I would a stroke of the brush. Actually holding down a button with one hand and holding the button *on the wacom pen* (to initiate a right-click) and then rotating is less accurate and frankly irritating.

So please! I want to enjoy AR3 Pro. The new Ink Pen tool and Preserve Transparency tools alone sold me on it, but please give me my old navigation tools back! I've gone back to AR 2.5 for the time being hoping things will eventually change for the better.

Hi Vgreer,
    You can reassign the new shortcuts to your preferred ones from edit/set keyboard shortcuts menu. and more.
    Hope this helps
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

VGreer: I support this. I am soooo missing the Canvas Rotater.

So please, please, please give us back the tools:
    M Canvas Mover
    R Canvas Rotater
    Z Canvas Zoomer
    And the ability to click them via a mini-version of the puck (like the 2.5 panel - see image).

The old shortcuts from AR2.5...
    Drag the Canvas
    Right Click Drag
    Space + Left Click Drag
    Rotate the Canvas
    Alt/Option + Right Click Drag
    Space + Alt/Option + Left Click Drag
    Zoom In To or Out Of the Canvas
    Shift + Right Click Drag
    Space + Shift + Left Click Drag
    ... are still working.

But with Tablets on Windows they don't work correct (and never did). I'll report this in a new thread. That's why we miss the MRZ keys.

flyashy: I don't think all keyboard features are re-assignable. I can't find the "old shortcuts" anywhere. They just work.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DoodLS; 12-26-2009 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyashy View Post
    Hi Vgreer,
    You can reassign the new shortcuts to your preferred ones from edit/set keyboard shortcuts menu. and more.
    Hope this helps
    Thanks, but I have been through the edit/set keyboard shortcuts menu several times and the tools just aren't there anymore.

Dear V, do agree with you very much!!! miss the old one-step zoom, used it so much, best wishes!!!

I must have gotten really comfortable with the new keyboard shortcuts as I can't for the life of me remember what the old ones were.
    I do feel they could be improved by having a way to quickly access 100% scale and 0% rotate.
    eg/ Shift+double-click = 100% scale
    Alt+double-click = 0% rotate
    I can't find a way to do this without having the puck open. (can't find a keyboard shortcut in the manual)

Having the puck scalable like the other interface elements would incline me to use it more as I find it a little large to work with.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Juzzy, "D" by itself on the keyboard will simultaneously give you 100% scale with zero rotation. It's one of my favorite default shortcuts brought over from 2.5.

Likewise alt+d will reset to zero rotation and shift+d will restore to 100% canvas size.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by byroncallas; 12-27-2009 at 12:31 PM.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Aaahh ... you're a lifesaver Byron (D for default was what i was seeking)... now to find me a spare express key on my wacom to map to it
    Last edited by Juz; 12-27-2009 at 02:18 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

A little proposal from me: add a double-click feature on canvas-positioner's button which would make a canvas fit to the size of a window and restore rotation to default
    I know about D button, but for me it's sometimes easier to double-click with tablet/mouse than to push key...

I guess with time we'll get used to the new interface.

That rotate puck was difficult at first, but I guess I'll get used it with time... I found out that I can click the puck and then move the cursor to a distance from the puck. That way it's easy to do subtle movement while rotating. And Ctrl+Alt+C is a nifty On/Off move too.

Old dogs (and cats) are learning new tricks and work-methods these days...