ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Paint a simple lighting experiment

Gallery
    View images

Paint a simple lighting experiment

The idea is to get our collective minds thinking about how light works so we can better mimic it's effects in our images. Here's a quick example of what I'm talking about. I didn't concern myself with too much "correctness" I just wanted to get down the essence of what light might do. My plan is to use a similar stage to try different objects and types of surfaces within the same light scheme.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images
    great fashmir...one of the best ways to learn how it works!

in this chase i have a correction for your picture (i believe i'm right :P )
    - the light source is a hard spot from the left, but the shadow lays in the wrong direction! also the higlights are not in the same angle...

anything else is good :wink:

ps: i will post a 3d example of this scene this evening...

edit: so i added the 3d scene of fasmirs painting to compare...
    i'm right with the shadow but absolutely wrong with the highlight... ops:
    i must congratulate you...your are very close!

edit2: i should ready more exacly...hmm you didn't want it correct...

greez
    M.Siegrist

Artrage 2.6 & Wacom Intuos 3 A5
    XP SP2

Gallery
    View images
    maror- Cool! Nice to see what you did in 3D. At one point I had a lamp actually painted on a layer which looked more like it was pointing into the scene and matched the shadow orientation. When I threw that away I didn't change the shadow, a complete oversight.

Here's an update after seeing your 3D this afternoon. In the first and second images I painted from memory and imagination with no reference. Not a virtue, just the way it happened. :wink:
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images
    wow good idea Fashmir-will have to have a go at this myself.

Selby
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

Gallery
    View images

Hei David. Nice idea and i take part this thread adding my pixpaint.

I have glass-ball and also glass-cube where this ball stand. I put those things to my table and start to paint what i see. I dont paint that cube under the ball. This is ,,,,must say,,,,good training self-education cource of how paint ball. It is difficult to paint glass-ball so that it looks like it is. But i'm quite satisfaction result of my many hours work.