ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Pressure sensitivity and line width?

Gallery
    View images

Question Pressure sensitivity and line width?

I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade to AR3 pro or stick with 2.5 studio.

Is there any way to make a line get wider with pressure? I like to taper the width of my lines without changing settings as I draw. I'd like to replicate what I can do in Flash, Photoshop, and old Paint.n3t versions.

In Artrage 2.5 I can use the art pen to get width tapering (the clown nose sketch attached,) but I can't get it to work in the AR3 professional demo.

I'm I merely overwhelmed by the plethora of new options and is there a box to check off?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    You don't say if you have a pen and tablet?

I think the pressure sensitivity is only applicable to a pen and tablet. A mouse wouldn't have this.

Judith
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne

Gallery
    View images
    ArtRage does support pen pressure to adjust the width of the stroke in various tools for which it makes sense, the ink pen in particular makes good use of this.

However, if you're using a graphics tablet and you are not getting pressure when you expected it, please let me know what computer and tablet you're using, which operating system, and whether you see pressure support in any other software and I should be able to help.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    i'll explain the error further: I'm using an HP TouchSmart TX2Z with Windows Vista.

I rebooted my machine, and tried opening AR3 by itself, and with AR2 Studio open to compare.

In both cases I had the pressure problems with AR3, but not with AR2 Studio.

Here's what happens: I hover over the screen surface, and then place the pen tool onto the screen and draw. There is a taper at the start of the line, but I cannot get the line to become thinner unless I use the lowest possible pressure (making thin dots as the pen registers its lowest level of pressure.) When I lift the pen up about 1/2 the time the line continues drawing as i move the cursor, even if I switch from my stylus to the mouse. The line only stops drawing if I click, or double click the left mouse button by doing a pen tap or a mouse click.

While the program is drawing without being "clicked" to do so, the line draws at maximum width.

To further describe the lack of pressure sensitivity: When AR3 does properly recognize I'm applying pressure to the pen/clicking the mouse for drawing it does not give much variability in line width. With AR2 Studio I could adjust the pressure up and draw a line that was very wide or extremely thin without struggling. With AR3 demo it's a struggle to touch lightly enough to vary the line width.

Gallery
    View images
    Make sure that you have the latest version of the demo which is 3.05. A problem was identified on specific machines which use the ntrig input drivers ( e.g. the TX2 ) and an update was released - http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=25418.

You can check your version in Help -> About ArtRage, and download the latest version from www.artrage.com/artragedemo.html
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design