ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got my WACOM : )

Just got my WACOM : )

Woot! I'm really liking it, will take me time to get use to... but very neat!!! Any tips or pointers? (no pun intended)

Have a merry Christmas everyone!
    +I only see the good qualities in people. Not being faultless myself, I won't probe into the faults of others+

Assuming this is your first tablet, it does take time to develop a feel for it. Just keep at it and you'll become more and more comfortable.

Congrats. Agree with everyone. Play. After a bit you won't know how you painted without it.

One suggestion, try different settings in Wacon's tablet settings panel (accessed from the control panel in Windows (not sure about Mac). There you can adjust things like the feel for the pressure settings, mapping to your monitors if you have dual monitors, etc. Everyone is a little different, so the customized settings help you get it just right for you.

And make sure you have the very latest drivers. It makes a difference, no kidding.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Quote Originally Posted by byroncallas View Post
    Congrats. Agree with everyone. Play. After a bit you won't know how you painted without it.

One suggestion, try different settings in Wacon's tablet settings panel (accessed from the control panel in Windows (not sure about Mac). There you can adjust things like the feel for the pressure settings, mapping to your monitors if you have dual monitors, etc. Everyone is a little different, so the customized settings help you get it just right for you.

And make sure you have the very latest drivers. It makes a difference, no kidding.
    Hi Byron, Windows installed drivers for me, which I uninstalled and then used the ones from the CD my WACOM came with. I hope they are the latest, what would I gain by upgrading to the latest?
    +I only see the good qualities in people. Not being faultless myself, I won't probe into the faults of others+

After a bit you won't know how you painted without it.
    No kidding!

I've been using it for about an hour now, then I picked up my mouse and tried painting... after 2m of using my mouse I was like "Wha...?...how did I use this?"

I had to install the latest drivers from Wacom to get the rotation on the touch pad to work for me. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Hi Byron, Windows installed drivers for me, which I uninstalled and then used the ones from the CD my WACOM came with. I hope they are the latest, what would I gain by upgrading to the latest?
    The Wacom drivers are known to be finicky and the ones that come with the CD may not be the latest. For example, when I got my Wacom Intuos 4, the drivers on the CD prevented me from using certain tools in Paintshop Pro. Installing the latest drivers from the Wacom site cleared that up AND the pressure sensitive aspects of the stylus were vastly improved when using Artrage.

If you don't have any troubles, leaving well enough alone is probably good enough. But I was surprised at the improvement in the pressure sensitive qualities when I installed the new drivers. I hadn't even realized there was a problem. I did a double-take at the difference when the new drivers were installed.

If you DO get the new drivers, take to heart the admonition to first uninstall the old ones and turn off your virus protection software and Windows Defender until after the new drivers are installed.

Maybe some other people will chime in here about the drivers and their experience. This isn't to scare ya. It just turns out, like any other complicated hardware, drivers can be touchy things and using the latest ones recommended by the manufacturer is usually (yes, there are exceptions) beneficial.
    //

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    No kidding!

I've been using it for about an hour now, then I picked up my mouse and tried painting... after 2m of using my mouse I was like "Wha...?...how did I use this?"
    Pretty darn neat, hey???!!!!
    //

Quote Originally Posted by byroncallas View Post
    Pretty darn neat, hey???!!!!
    Heck yeah!

I'm using every tool 2x as much as I use to. The tools are much easier to handle with a WACOM compared to a mouse.

With a pen, it feels more like painting with a brush. A mouse feels like I'm painting with a large rock

Congrats on your new Wacom. Still waiting for my Cintiq to arrive. Hope I get used to it as EZ-ily as you have with yours.

Judith
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne