ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Question for forum

Question for forum

I have an art site I sell my works on. Lately I've been posting a lot AR2.5 works there. They will accept up to a 20MB file, and the bigger the file the larger you can sell the art.

When I post my art here it's usually 328kb's, and I would like to know how to export my files with a much larger resolution. I don't have photoshop....

I've had comments that the digital artworks look pixelized..............

Any suggestions or link to any type of software for art would be helpful.

Thank You..................Tony Jazzzzzzzzzz

You want to export it as a PNG file or a TIFF, not a JPEG ^_^

Also, size is also related to amount of information, not just print size - so an all black painting would have a smaller file than a rainbow one.

And before you export, go to canvas settings and make sure the DPI is 300 (more or less - that's the usual one though)

You can also download GIMP to edit PSD files (it's free a bit complicated but if all you want to do is open a photoshop file and save it as something else, it's a good one to have).

Thanks for the input Flynn. Unfortunately this site only accepts jpeg files.......... there's got to be a way to get higher res pics I think, I hope...
    Last edited by Tonyjazz; 12-24-2009 at 02:34 PM.

export as png then use an image resizing software to turn to jpg. the export to jpg is too high of a compression in artrage.

this was also covered recently in this thread:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=25378

having said that I would say that Photoshop would be an invaluable tool for your toolbox if you plan to sell prints.

Resizing an image is taking the same amount of information and distributing it over a different size area. If you increase the size of an image there will be some deterioration; the large the increase, the greater the deterioration leading to "pixelization" or "artifacting".
    Start with a large canvas size in ArtRage; I seldom go below 1200X1800 pixels. Export from ArtRage as a PNG file then use third party software to convert that to a high quality JPG image.
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=24998

Tony, when you convert the AR exported PNG to JPG, whatever third party conversion software you use, make sure the compression settings are zero, or near zero. Since their maximum upload size is 20MB, if you must compress to get under 20MB, use the lowest compression ratio that gets you as close to 20mb as possible. The uncompressed JPG will near match your PNG as long as you don't re-save iterations (i.e. as long as it's the first generation).

If re-sizing up is a necessity, start with an AR PNG, save the output as a PNG, then convert as above to JPG. If this is something you do a lot and it's the difference between making money or not, invest in a resizing program like BenVista's PhotoZoom3. It's expensive, but it does a remarkable job creating non-existent pixels to create very reasonable visual fidelity. If it's infrequent, the resizing algorithm in Infranview (free) does an "OK" job if the resizing up isn't a lot (oh, 30% or so).
    Last edited by byroncallas; 12-25-2009 at 04:25 PM.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Thanks, great info. Just what I needed........will check out the 3rd party software, will come back and brag when I sell my 1st digital painting!!! Merry Christmas my friends and thank you very much for pointing the way. TJ