ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Stencil Shapes To Selections

Stencil Shapes To Selections

Hi,

I am wondering if there is a way to turn a stencil shape into a selection without drawing around the stencil first and then using the magic wand to select its contents?

I want to create watercolor paintings based on the negative space around a figure(s) that I want to use in the painting. I have had some great results using the selection tool to create regular selections and then inversing them to allow me to paint up to them. The shape remains the canvas color/texture. I have been successful with multiple layers using this approach and the subtle dynamics of the result are very nice.

Now I want to take a stencil of a branching tree and turn it into multiple selections again painting in layers and only the negative space.

If I draw around the stencil, it will leave a line that destroys the effect.

I hope this makes sense. Anybody? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jim Gahl

Hi Jim,
    why don't you just use the inverted stencil? It can easily be inverted from the stencils panel/active stencils/lil menu under the eye.

You can have as many copies of the stencil on as many layers to have the negative spaces as you mentioned.

I was wondering what was the need to have selections since stencils work as well. Or am i missing something here?
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

Hi.

Thanks for your response. I have to say that I am puzzled about what you mean about inverting the stencil, but I will play around with it. Truth be told, I have not used the stencils much yet, so this is an area I need to become good at.

Actually, I am attempting to simulate Linda Kemp's techniques in her book- Watercolor- painting outside the lines. The focus is painting only the negative space of an object and not the object itself. What emerges is very lovely blended backgrounds around the outlines of the objects.

AR3 is good for this kind of work as I can put different shapes on different layers and blend without affecting the painting underneath. My hope is to use stencils that I can turn into selections and use her techniques. Up to this time I have been hand drawing the shapes, which is good because it is realistic looking and not perfect as a stencil would be...... but, I like the expediency of the stencil approach.

In real media, one has to develop a brush technique to get perfectly shaped objects that are painted from the edges out. With selections in AR3 it is easy to preserve the perfect shape and brush away from the shape to paint the negative space. The other advantage is that in real media one has to wait until the watercolor dries...... wee...... Thanks, AR!

Jim Gahl

To invert a stencil, right click on the stencil and click on "Invert the Stencil" and it should do what you want.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne