ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Pen and tablet?

Which Pen and tablet?

Hi there,

I've just bought AR3 Studio Pro. It looks a great product and I'm already having fun just finding my way around it. I'm using a mouse at the moment and would like to get a pen and tablet e.g. one of the Wacom range. I wondered what people here would suggest? I'm using AR3 for my own enjoyment, I'm not a professional user.

Thanks
    Peter

Thumbs up

Well, if it is just for fun then go for the Bamboo. A few people use them and it is quite affordable. When you want to get serious get the Intuos 4. I am real happy with mine. I just purchase AR Pro and using the Wacom is awesome with it.

With current support of Wacom interface features, any tablet will do. Tilt and bearing are virtually unused in ArtRage so far, so as long as your tablet is pressure-sensitive, you are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlemock View Post
    Well, if it is just for fun then go for the Bamboo. A few people use them and it is quite affordable. When you want to get serious get the Intuos 4. I am real happy with mine. I just purchase AR Pro and using the Wacom is awesome with it.
    Thanks for the tip. The Intuos 4 looks really impressive, though more expensive than the Bambo. I would also like to use the pen and tablet with Photoshop Elements 8 for Mac so that would be a consideration. I'm thinking of getting a Medium size tablet - would that be a reasonable size to use with AR Pro?

Personally, I use Bamboo pen and tablet that comes along. I found really neat and fun. I would suggest to consider it too. Cost me 80
    - Saddy -
    "First, weapon selection is critical": Wacom Bamboo Pen
    AR3 - The Complete Force!
    On Deviantart
    On twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by L Skylar Brown View Post
    Sweet Girl - I love your imagination. When your visuals catch up, you will be a true Force!

Quote Originally Posted by peterm View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a Medium size tablet - would that be a reasonable size to use with AR Pro?
    As long as you don't get the smallest size, you should be fine I think. It depends on your drawing style. Ask yourself: Do you feel comfortable drawing on a sheet of paper the size of the active area of a medium size tablet? Or would you constantly try to draw outside that area?

And another point about Bamboo vs Intuos, the medium-size Bamboo is not so much cheaper than the medium-size Intuos, so if you have any indication that you are the type of person who would want "a better gadget" after a while, maybe going with the Intuos from the start is a good idea. Be sure to try one out at a store before you buy though! Tablets often don't behave in a way that people who've never used one would expect.

(And you will still have some room for a better gadget in the Cintiq line.)

If you can afford it I would buy a Wacom Cintiq prices are $999 for the 12inch and $1999 for the 21inch. Its quite amazing for productivity and the workflow just seems to be easier to think about. The next choice is the Intuos 4 its as feature packed as the Cintiq without the monitor, prices range from 199 - 599 depending on the size you go for. I do not suggest a Bamboo tablet I never really liked them as far as features go.

I can tell you from personal experience the Cintiq is the way to go if you do graphics arts all the time. If its just a hobby you do once and while I would buy the Intuos 4 Medium tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by peterm View Post
    Thanks for the tip. The Intuos 4 looks really impressive, though more expensive than the Bambo. I would also like to use the pen and tablet with Photoshop Elements 8 for Mac so that would be a consideration. I'm thinking of getting a Medium size tablet - would that be a reasonable size to use with AR Pro?
    I have the Intous4 Medium. I think it is a dream machine and worth every penny. It is the only tablet I have ever had, so I can't honestly compare it to others. But I bought it after asking a question just like yours here in the the chat forum. After a whole much of research and feedback, this is the one I settled on and have not regretted it.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 12-25-2009 at 08:43 AM.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

bamboo
    Name:  wacom_bamboo2.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  43.0 KB

intuos 4
    Name:  wacom-intuos4.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  13.6 KB

cintix 12
    Name:  cintiq12wx_3.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  23.0 KB

cintix 21ux
    Name:  cintiq_21.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  32.4 KB
    Last edited by michal; 12-24-2009 at 11:43 AM.

Smile

Thanks for all the replies - very helpful and much appreciated. It's nice to find a helpful and friendly forum along with a good product.