ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: pears

pears

ar3, felt pen, knife, some stickers for bg
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    choosing the words, we lose thoughts
    facebook, B, tumblr

Like the interesting texture and chromaticity,
    a regular border might be less distracting,
    keeps knocking me out of the image for some reason
    Good interpretation

Fantastic. Great piece of work. I love it. My "critical" observations:
    • The gold (is it a leaf) behind the bottom left corner of the pear on the paintings left doesn't contrast with the pear. It seems part of the pear and looks like a mistake in painting the pear. (?)
    • The incomplete border somehow attracts attention way from the subject.
    • the brownish upright growth (tree trunk??) behind the pears also lacks contrast with the pears. Given the beautiful greens and near black greens for the background (great job there), I was wondering what it would be like if you made that growth (the "tree trunk"?) a very deep, rich mix of reds (almost velvet reds, browns and blacks)????
    Overall a stunning picture.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 12-24-2009 at 09:48 AM.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Thank you, iceaxe, Byron.
    Dear Byron, I appreciate your criticisms.
    Thank you very much.
    I should think, what can be done. I will publish the results here.

ps. "incomplete border" - my style to post pictures here.
    Last edited by Mike Severoff; 12-24-2009 at 08:03 PM.
    facebook, B, tumblr

new version, with the account of remarks. If I have correctly understood all.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    facebook, B, tumblr

That looks much better. Is the pear supposed to be growing on that tree? I was just wondering. Other than that I like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybrite View Post
    Is the pear supposed to be growing on that tree?
    Yes.
    -I did not see as the pear grows. I can assume only. Unfortunately.
    facebook, B, tumblr

Oh wow - I love what you did with it, and the red is spot on from the picture I had in my head.

Since you are so open to observations and suggestions I'll offer two here on the new take.
    • selectively blend and soften the edges of the pears where they meet and visually should recede into the background. I notice this particularly on that left pear on the left bottom quadrant, but play with it on both pears selectively. It will eliminate a little of the minor appearance of being stuck on on top - it will look more "natural", give a little greater depth, and enhance the appearance of volume. Consider the same for the edges of the tree trunk, soften then so those somewhat sharp edges don't attract the eye.
    • Put some bark-like texture in the tree trunk. Now it looks slightly like a plastic model. A little texture to break up the surface I think will help. Be subtle but deliberate. Don't run all the texture in parallel lines like it is now as you move into the roots. Roughen it up randomly and ever so slightly. I stress subtle, something you won't notice unless you look close.
    It was fun coming back to see what you did with this. I love it.

Byron

EDIT: I spent additional time looking (I like visual puzzles) - and have another thought. That strong light at the base of the tree, especially where the roots come together to form the V centrally under the pears, seems to be a very strong focal point for me, but shouldn't be a point of strong visual interest pulling you away from the pears. I would play with reducing the light there, and for sure softening the edge of those roots so their sharp edge lines don't visually pull my attention there.

If you wanted to have fun and keep a strong focal point there, you could put something of "surprising" but slowly discovered visual interest there, like a sharply defined insect, or piece of jewelry, etc. It would be changing the emphasis of the painting but the observation presents an opportunity to play with it visually to make something unusual that tells a story beyond the simple aesthetics of the beautiful pears. The discovery aspect could elevate the painting as an idea. But it could also fail miserably, so I suggest this as just a bit of fun experiment to see if anything interesting came out of it. I'm not offering this thought as a way of fixing anything.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 12-25-2009 at 09:53 AM.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Quote Originally Posted by byroncallas View Post
    I'll offer two here on the new take.
    Thank you, dear Byron.
    You have written so much, I have to translate everything carefully and think.
    As usual, the result is here.

ps. thank You!
    facebook, B, tumblr