ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Problems working with Sticker Tool

Problems working with Sticker Tool

Hi experts,

I have updated to ArtRage 3 Pro and was very excited about the new Sticker Tool. However, trying to really work with it turned out to be a pain. Either I do not grasp the right way to use it or it really misses some crucial functionality. I will list my encounterings here and hope somebody can help me.

What I actually try to do is this: I design postcards that have usually a sentence of text in a decorated 3D-Type font on them. I design the letters in a different program (Blender) and import the whole font set into artrage as a stickersheet. This works great so far!

Now I "typeset" my text with the sticker panel open by clicking on the individual characters to form my sentence:

(Please have a look into the attachments for a screenshot. The editor didnīt allow me to insert the picture link here)

Now my Problems:
    1. Every Character on separate Layer. It seems only the spray tool has the ability to combine many stickers on one single layer. I found out that I can place all my letters in a layer group, but thats all, it seems. The group has a command "unite all layers" but that would convert everything to a painting.
    2. Akward selection method of single character. After a sticker is on the canvas I would like to select it and change its tint. But obviously I can only select that character directly on the canvas by right clicking, which is also selected in the layer palette. That means I have to use the layer palette anyway to switch between different characters and can use the "footprint" button to set properties. But here comes the next difficulty:
    3. There is no visual clue which sticker is selected. I have a long list of characters in the layer palette and I would at least expect that, when I select one of them, the corresponding sticker on the canvas would have the "selection frame". But it turnes out that I have to right click and choose "transform" and only then I see the frame.
    4. I cannot tint all letters in a group with one color. The context menu on the group allows me to transform the whole group, but it is not possible to "tint" all letters. Tinting actually turns out to be a rather tedious task, because there is another problem:
    5. Color Picker for tinting is different from the main color picker. This means, I cannot use preset colors. To give two stickers the same color I actually have to write down the rgb-value and set it every time for every shape! This is not very consitent with the rest of the user interface. Maybe there is a way and somebody can point me how to do it?
    6. There is no button to "delete" a sticker sheet on the sticker pages. At least I didnīt find one...I work rather dynamically with the sticker sheet, since I can export a character set very easily from Blender in a different 3d-angle/color/texture. Added: I found that I can delete the sticker file on disk and this also removes it from the palette...okay, that is a work around...
    7. There is no way to open the edit form for an imported sheet later on. When clicking on "New" I can set a image for Forground and Background, Color, Shinynes...and so on. But once the form is closed I didnīt find a way to reopen it and change settings...
    8. No selection tool for stickers? What I really missed was something like a selection tool for stickers, like an Arrow cursor as in other paint applications. I understand that stickers are real "Objects", so it would be straightforward to have an arrow selection tool with which I can Left-Click on a sticker and it would get the selection frame and I could Left-Click again and use the transformation tools (rotate, move). This would make it much more intuitive with my tablet pc where a right click is a bit awkward. But maybe this is already there and I just didnīt see it?

Please understand this as constructive critique. I think ArtRage is a really great software and I would very much appreciate if the sticker tool could be polished up a bit and maybe my hints above can help you make it an even more useful tool!

Regards
    Joachim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I had actually brought some of this up in a post I made within the beta area (such as having the sticker sheet allow a user to place each sticker onto a specific layer).

In the meantime, here are some suggestions that may help with some things.

Quote Originally Posted by joachim View Post
    Akward selection method of single character. After a sticker is on the canvas I would like to select it and change its tint. But obviously I can only select that character directly on the canvas by right clicking, which is also selected in the layer palette. That means I have to use the layer palette anyway to switch between different characters and can use the "footprint" button to set properties.
    There is no visual clue which sticker is selected. :

Using the Transform Tool, one can select a sticker on the screen, which switches the active layer to the layer the sticker is located on. One may then Right Click on the sticker for that layer to call up the panel to change its tint, shadow and opacity settings.

I cannot tint all letters in a group with one color. The context menu on the group allows me to transform the whole group, but it is not possible to "tint" all letters. Tinting actually turns out to be a rather tedious task, because there is another problem:

Color Picker for tinting is different from the main color picker. This means, I cannot use preset colors. To give two stickers the same color I actually have to write down the rgb-value and set it every time for every shape! This is not very consitent with the rest of the user interface. Maybe there is a way and somebody can point me how to do it?

With the stickers placed where they need to be, one could flatten the sticker layers together and then go to "Edit > Adjust Layer Color" to make changes to the hue of the group.

There is no way to open the edit form for an imported sheet later on. When clicking on "New" I can set a image for Forground and Background, Color, Shinynes...and so on. But once the form is closed I didnīt find a way to reopen it and change settings...

When one opens the sticker creator, there is a menu tab at the upper right of the panel. Opening the menu, one will find an "Import Sticker Sheets" option that will reload the creator with the chosen sticker.

No selection tool for stickers? What I really missed was something like a selection tool for stickers, like an Arrow cursor as in other paint applications. I understand that stickers are real "Objects", so it would be straightforward to have an arrow selection tool with which I can Left-Click on a sticker and it would get the selection frame and I could Left-Click again and use the transformation tools (rotate, move). This would make it much more intuitive with my tablet pc where a right click is a bit awkward. But maybe this is already there and I just didnīt see it?

This seems like what Transform Tool does, but I might be misunderstanding your needs.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks for you answer.

Using the Transform Tool, one can select a sticker on the screen ...
    I tried that and at first it didnīt work, but then I found that there is a setting "select layer" that has to be set (by default unset) and now it works as expected thanks for that hint!

With the stickers placed where they need to be, one could flatten the sticker layers together and then go to "Edit > Adjust Layer Color" to make changes to the hue of the group.
    I have already experimented with that, doing it the described way and convert it to a drawing means to loose all the benfits of the real sticker object

When one opens the sticker creator, there is a menu tab at the upper right of the panel. Opening the menu, one will find an "Import Sticker Sheets" option that will reload the creator with the chosen sticker.
    I have tried this in my german version. Actually on the "Sticker Pages" there is a button in the center of the header labeled "Import Sticker" (no menu item) when I click on that the file explorer opens and I have to find the .stk file....if I choose an already existing (one that has been imported previously and to which settings I want to make a change) I get an error message "error reading from stream....object already exists".

I have tried this in my german version. Actually on the "Sticker Pages" there is a button in the center of the header labeled "Import Sticker" (no menu item) when I click on that the file explorer opens and I have to find the .stk file....if I choose an already existing (one that has been imported previously and to which settings I want to make a change) I get an error message "error reading from stream....object already exists".
    Hmm... That sounds like a bug then. You should be able to reopen the stickers that were already created. I've had no problems doing it on my end, so perhaps it's an issue specific to the version you have using a different language? It'd be odd, but I'm sure the AR team has seen stranger things, lol.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

To import a sticker sheet already in your collection for editing, select the option to make a new sticker sheet then select the Import option from the menu at the top right of the sticker sheet creator. That will import a sheet in to the editor.

The Import button on the sticker sheet selection panel imports a sheet from disk to that category, the error message you are seeing indicates that you are trying to import a duplicate sheet in to your category, which you can't do (the error should be clearer though!).
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Typograhpy Sticker

Matt,
    the typography sticker is really neat w/ the auto text generator feature. Pardon my ignorance but is there a way to create and customize a sticker w/ a text phrase other than the welcome Art Rage expression currently in it? For example for a poster image where you want to have multiple strings of text spread out. I would love to have a way to specify a word or string of words that mirror that effect.
    Thanks.

Guys i haven't had a real good chance to read about the actual problems your having with stickers but i noticed your talking about making text stickers.

You might find some helpful tips in this tutorial http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=24697

Hope it helps
    Vista Business SP2 - 32 bit
    Hardrives - 320Gb main
    MB - Intel Core 2 CPU@2.4Ghz

Memory
    - 2 Gb
    Graphics Card
    - NVidiaGeForce 8800GT,190.62
    Cuda

Monitor
    - Hewlett Packard 22

AR3 Studio Professional Unleash The Full Power