Thread: Flat Round, pressure sensitive tool.

Flat Round, pressure sensitive tool.

I'm following the development of Artrage since v1 and i'm having really much fun with it, but there is one tool still missing: simple, fast, pressure sensitive round brush - for rough sketches of shapes and colours. Here's a screenshot from Photoshop with some scribblings I made with that kind of basic tool:
    (i cant post URLs to other sites yet, so You have to ctrl+c,ctrl+v this into Your browsers adress bar)

img245.imageshack.us/img245/4973/flatround.jpg

I was able to reproduce similar behaviour with Stickers (i can upload *.prs file, if anyone wants it), but its quite slow with brushes larger than medium, oversensitive to pressure (but maybe its just a matter of settings), and there's that strange glitch:

img245.imageshack.us/img245/4973/flatround.jpg

...are there any chances to see some kind of that tool in future upgrades?

Gallery
    View images
    And the Ink Pen in AR 3 doesn't suit you... why?

When set to Round head, Aspect 100%, Smoothing 0% and Pressure 50%, it behaves exactly like the basic Photoshop round pressure-sensitive brush. With Opacity controlling, well, the opacity.

Or perhaps you're talking about something different?

Gallery
    View images
    You can use the inking pen, or gloop tool (turn canvas roughness down to zero), and turn off canvas lighting.
    Also if you use the marker pen tool with softness up and art pen setting on (canvas roughness at zero) you will get similar results.

Or, as you say, certain sticker-spray options.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    And the Ink Pen in AR 3 doesn't suit you... why?

When set to Round head, Aspect 100%, Smoothing 0% and Pressure 50%, it behaves exactly like the basic Photoshop round pressure-sensitive brush. With Opacity controlling, well, the opacity.

Or perhaps you're talking about something different?
    With inking tool (and gloop tool) it's the brush size thats linked with pen pressure, not the opacity :/

Here's the screenshot i faked to clarify what i'm talking about :

img706.imageshack.us/img706/6730/vopacity.jpg

IMHO that option would bring Artrage one step closer to the Ultimate Painting Software title
    Last edited by Herod; 12-20-2009 at 08:08 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    Well, that's another request for more versatile Wacom support, then.

How about giving us more options for controlling how the tools behave in relation to stroke direction and stylus tilt, bearing and pressure? There already is such a "matrix" control for stickers, why not using it for other tools?

Even, perhaps, a separate "custom" brush that just lumps all available options together and lets us tinker. That would be peachy.

Gallery
    View images
    I think it would be perfect if the matrix control was available for all tools. Perhaps in a future update
    Charlie

ArtRage for Art | EnergyXT2 for Music | Blender for 3D

Gallery
    View images
    erm, i just tried reassigning the opacity in the sticker settings panel/spray variation to pen pressure and it seems to work quite well as an image brush.

edit: I see what you mean now that I managed to replicate what you uploaded. the faint lightness at edges where two strokes intersect. I think it's probably got something to do with the alpha of the brush..but i'm just guessing.
    Last edited by flyashy; 12-24-2009 at 10:25 AM.
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

Gallery
    View images
    I don't usually recommend other products on a manufacturer's website but the basic Scribbles brush ties both size and opacity to pressure. It imitates what you've posted almost exactly. I often do a sketch with it because the interface is so uncluttered and then import into ArtRage for final painting. You'd need a Mac, though.