ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Getting over smudge..

Gallery
    View images

Getting over smudge..

Bought Studio this week and love it. I've always been a fan of Artrage for my Tecra Tablet PC but not I'm looking into replacing PS on my Mac. I can't seem to get over my dependency on the smudge tool in Photoshop. What are the best workarounds? Do I need to upgrade to Pro to get them?

Glen

Gallery
    View images
    The palette knife in the AR3 pro version has a multiplicity of settings that for me accomplish intentions in the smudge tool but are several steps further beyond. I'm not a PS pro, so some of those guys will probably answer this question better than me. But from my limited use of PS I think you'll find AR3 pro gets you more than what you're looking for via the new palette knife when your looking for smudging. I'll be curious myself what the PS pros in this forum have to say.
    Last edited by byroncallas; 12-21-2009 at 06:51 AM.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Gallery
    View images
    I know it feels a bit strange not to have regular smudge at first. As Byron mentioned, palette knife is definitely a way to go. Check out these threads for further ideas, http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=11054 , http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...read.php?t=439 .

I'm particularly fond of type 1 palette knife. Type 5 is cool too. The idea is that when you blend, you have to break up the boundary a bit and then smooth it. Ie. if you have two horizontal blocks of different colors and want to blend between them, move the paint around vertically a bit using the palette knife and after that "paint" some horizontal strokes to smooth the result.
    Last edited by bebraw; 12-21-2009 at 07:19 AM. Reason: typo fix