Thread: a few questions and suggestions...

Gallery
    View images

a few questions and suggestions...

I have been trying the demo but that has limitations built in so there are a few things I can't try and was wondering if someone can help me with my questions:

#1. Have the oils in AR3 changed from AR2.5? I have tried my preferred settings in AR3 and it doesn't work the same way. Now I suppose it could be due to the canvas settings ( I can't load my preferred canvas in the demo so I can't check) but I'm not sure. It just 'feels' different...

#2. Stickers are like both the Nozzle in Painter and the Brushes in PS right? From what I understand is that they like the painter nozzle spray instances of the chosen 'image' in various ways and the brushes use the chosen 'image' as a profile and lay it down the brush path at so close a distance that it'll read like a line in stead of a string of images like in PS. Am I right?

From what I remember of painter brushes, the brushes used the profile to generate a continuous 'line' just like individual strands of a brush. Do any of the sticker art-brushes in AR3 do this? I have limited brushes in my repository and would love to know if they do.
    #3. If I load an image as a stencil from the disk, it comes up as a smaller version of the same (scaled down) even tho my canvas is of the same size. leaving me to scale it up to fit the canvas. I haven't used the stencils too much, and I don't know if this is a default behavior or I have missed something simple. Or maybe I have not read the manual hard enough.

also a couple of suggestions,
    #1 Can the Adjust layer command be also made available for the tracing image?
    There are some wonderful possibilities I see here. While tracing the colors from the original image can be modified and the resultant image can have so much more potential. Even a simple thing like darkening the background can have such an impact. Of course there are workarounds to this, like using different layers or even loading different versions of the same image. but to have a command like this would be awesome!
    #2. Can there be a way to determine the paint volume info? like the Alpha map gives you the idea of transparency? This would prove very useful while blending colors and avoiding streaks.
    #3. Can there be or is there a way to 'subtract' or strip off paint already on the canvas? I mean in a better way than the eraser. something that'll interact with the canvas. I've tried with maximum thinners and even tho it looks like it's doing it, the paint seems to be still there if you try blending it afterwards.
    #4. Is there any way to control the brush edges, that seem to magically leave streaks esp in areas of high contrast which are close to each other. I face this a lot while blending with oils.
    #5. Can there be assignable short cuts for controlling the settings? It'd be great to be able to change the thinners or the loading on the fly or by tapping a key combo. just like Shift + drag to increases/decrease the size, ctrl+shift +drag for loading or thinning etc...

Okay, okay I know, too few questions and too many suggestions,, and so soon after the new release too and that too in the wrong forum. but I got a little carried away. Sorry.
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by flyashy View Post

#1. Have the oils in AR3 changed from AR2.5? I have tried my preferred settings in AR3 and it doesn't work the same way. Now I suppose it could be due to the canvas settings ( I can't load my preferred canvas in the demo so I can't check) but I'm not sure. It just 'feels' different...

I don't the answer to this from a coding perspective, but from using it, I can't seem to find any differences in the way the paint interacts with the canvas. I also just tested the tool out a bit in both AR2.5 and ARSP (studio pro) on the same canvas.

#2. Stickers are like both the Nozzle in Painter and the Brushes in PS right? From what I understand is that they like the painter nozzle spray instances of the chosen 'image' in various ways and the brushes use the chosen 'image' as a profile and lay it down the brush path at so close a distance that it'll read like a line in stead of a string of images like in PS. Am I right?

From what I remember of painter brushes, the brushes used the profile to generate a continuous 'line' just like individual strands of a brush. Do any of the sticker art-brushes in AR3 do this? I have limited brushes in my repository and would love to know if they do.

Stencils have a lot of options to them. I can't make any comparisons to Painters nozzle, as I don't have much experience with it, but I do know a lot about photoshop brushes and can tell you that using a single sticker for the sticker spray will give you a result similar to that of a Photoshop brush.

Unlike the brushes in PS, you can create any number of images to put on a single sticker sheet, which can then be pulled randomly or in sequences while "drawing" with the Spray tool for added variety and effects. There is also the option of adding bump mapping (texture, gloss, metallic) to the stickers, which can add a different dynamic to them as well. There's really an awful lot to them to cover in a post like this though. I normally just tell people to watch my video showcasing all of my Sticker Spray presets, to get an idea of the type "brushes" can be made. If you haven't seen it, you can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17eyle6nGCI

#3. If I load an image as a stencil from the disk, it comes up as a smaller version of the same (scaled down) even tho my canvas is of the same size. leaving me to scale it up to fit the canvas. I haven't used the stencils too much, and I don't know if this is a default behavior or I have missed something simple. Or maybe I have not read the manual hard enough.

It does that by default. Right clicking on an imported stencil and selecting "Reset Stencil Scale" will rescale the stencil to the dimensions of the image it was created from.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    I don't the answer to this from a coding perspective, but from using it, I can't .... the tool out a bit in both AR2.5 and ARSP (studio pro) on the same canvas.
    Stencils have a lot of options to them. I can't make ... sticker for the sticker spray will give you a result similar to that of a Photoshop brush.

Unlike the brushes in PS, you can ...tell people to watch my video showcasing all of my Sticker Spray presets, to get an idea of the type "brushes" can be made. If you haven't seen it, you can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17eyle6nGCI
    It does that by default. Right clicking ...stencil to the dimensions of the image it was created from.
    Hi Someonesane.
    All I can say is wow! Great video. Didn't know there were so many different behaviors there in the sticker tape. I found some of them in the streaks section quite brilliant!! Are these all your own presets or are they also part of the AR3 package?
    Most of these behaved like the nozzle spray from painter, where you can control various aspects i.e. scale, orientation hue etc
    but then there were the PS brush type too..what I'm wondering is if theres any difference to the painter brushes.
    Oh well.
    Also thanks for the heads up on the stencil question. I guess I didn't read the manual hard enough

ta,
    fly

Gallery
    View images
    Most of these behaved like the nozzle spray from painter, where you can control various aspects i.e. scale, orientation hue etc
    but then there were the PS brush type too..what I'm wondering is if theres any difference to the painter brushes.
    Oh well.
    Also thanks for the heads up on the stencil question. I guess I didn't read the manual hard enough

ta,
    fly
    There is significant difference. ArtRage stickers are rendered objects, created from two independent surfaces of colour/opacity, surface contour(bump), specular intensity (gloss), and reflectivity. As each sticker is placed its properties are affected by the sticker variation parameters, it is rendered and 3D lighting is applied, reflectivity 'bloom' is applied, then an instance is placed on a micro-layer inside the sticker layer, with a drop-shadow (if you want). If the 'Auto-flatten' option is set 'on' in the sticker spray, the micro-layer is composited into the paint map as each sticker is produced. If not, then every single dab of the sticker spray remains an editable, moveable, independent object. (If you're using it as though it were a bitmap brush, you *do* want to have the auto-flatten option on, because all those rendered objects can chew up your memory.)
    It is absolutely not just a bitmap spray, or image stamp, or like anything other digital painting applications do.
    It's kind of like saying a Rolls Royce is like a motor-scooter.

Having said that, you can indeed use the ArtRage sticker spray like a bitmap brush, and it's a very effective, flexible tool to use that way.
    We've supplied a number of bitmap brush-head stickers and presets, and it's quite easy to create your own.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Someonesane.
    All I can say is wow! Great video. Didn't know there were so many different behaviors there in the sticker tape. I found some of them in the streaks section quite brilliant!! Are these all your own presets or are they also part of the AR3 package?
    Hi Flyashy,

Yes, all of the sticker/spray presets in that video were created by me, but only some of them were bundled with ArtRage 3. I'm going to be looking into ways to release some bundles of other stickers I've made in the future though. If you're looking to try out the Gold Coin Sticker Sheet with the Sticker Spray, I've provided a download for a few more Presets to go with it. The link to the download can be found in the thread below (along with some instruction on where to put the preset files):

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=24771

No problem
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage View Post
    It's kind of like saying a Rolls Royce is like a motor-scooter.
    Hi Andy,
    I didn't mean any offence by comparing them to the painter nozzle I was just comparing the way they both lay things down on the canvas.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. That clears up thing some

I am yet to even brush the surface (no pun intended) with stickers. I'm afraid I'm still exploring the regular known tools yet. But this should help me a lot when I do get around to the stickers tool.

@Someonesane, Thank you very much for the info & the link. I will try out that goldcoin one for sure, if I can load it in the demo version
    You pretty much did a brilliant job with those in the video. Love that Dragon's tail!!
    ta,
    fly