Thread: Resolution / limited pixels in 2.0?

Gallery
    View images

Resolution / limited pixels in 2.0?

Hi!

I'm using ArtRage 2.0 and I'm thinking of upgrading. The main reason is because I can't make proper thin lines in 2.0. Even if I set the resolution at 3000dpi, the tools won't let me make a crisp, smooth line. You can count the pixels from a mile away. This is pretty annoying when you want to add details and such.

I was wondering if this is a known problem with 2.0, and if it's non existent in 3.0. Because if it has something to do with my settings, 3.0 won't help me

Thanks!

Gallery
    View images
    I'm not sure what tool you're talking about when you say smooth crisp line. If it's the felt pen you can have the artpen option on. if it's the pencil you can have the precise option on. both these will give you crispness.
    With AR3 there's also smoothing and anti-aliasing, so not only your lines come out as smooth curves, but even the edges of these line are smoothed out.
    But if you're trying to zoom in to a painting (more than 100%) you're bound to see the pixels.
    There's a demo version of AR3. I suggest try it out and see if it works.
    Hope this helps.
    The more hair I lose, the more head I get.

Gallery
    View images
    It all depends on the canvas you are using and the pen/brush settings. If you want smooth lines, set paper Roughness to 0 and Pencil to Precise - this way you will make it look more digital and smooth.
    "I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!"

Gallery
    View images
    I can already count the pixels without zooming in. But I like to be able to zoom in, so I can make precise lines. I tried doing a portrait, for instance, but I wasn't able to do eyelashes, because of the pixelproblem.

I saw some artwork here, where people definitely didn't have this pixel problem. So I figured it might be the version of ArtRage I have.

Gallery
    View images
    Just setting the DPI to 3000 won't really do anything if you still specify canvas size in pixels. It doesn't actually make your picture larger, it just tells the computer that it should be printed smaller. If you set the canvas size in inches or centimetres it should work, but I think the default is pixels...

Danny's right, DPI has no effect whatsoever on the image you see on screen

Gallery
    View images
    I guess I could 'work' in a painting at 20% and then zoom in for details. I'm just starting with this program and I'm used to Indesign and Photoshop, so I might ask some more stupid questions.