ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *Sigh*

*Sigh*

ArtRage 3, Adobe CS5... too many wants and never enough money haha

I hope saving enough money can get me AR3 at least, CS5 is a little out of my league money wise.

Anyway to the point of my post, the WACOM I plan to buy is:
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...roduct+Reviews

When it says "Pen Only" I'm assuming it means it won't include the little mouse too?

Is that something I should be concerned about? Or can I still use my current mouse?
    +I only see the good qualities in people. Not being faultless myself, I won't probe into the faults of others+

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Anyway to the point of my post, the WACOM I plan to buy is:
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...roduct+Reviews

When it says "Pen Only" I'm assuming it means it won't include the little mouse too?

Is that something I should be concerned about? Or can I still use my current mouse?
    Your old mouse will still work. You just need to have enough USB ports to keep both the mouse and the tablet plugged in. I hardly even use the mouse that came with my tablet, while some people just end up using the pen for their mouse...
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I have the original Graphire and it's going strong after 11 years. I never have used the mouse that came with it. The pen is EZ-ier to use when surfing the web.

I have the switch on the pen to be right click only.

I also cut a piece of transparency film for laser printers to fit the size of my small tablet. And then I scotch tape the film to it. I change this film every six months. That way I don't scratch the surface. And, the nib of my pen lasts forever. You can buy this plastic cover piece from Wacom but it's a lot more expensive.

So get the bamboo and have total fun with it

Judith
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne

Basically there are two kinds of mice that come with graphics tablets.

One type is your regular mouse that is just like a regular mouse, except you have to use it on the tablet, and in return, you get very high precision. I've seen older low-end Wacom tablets bundled with mice, maybe so people would buy them as mouse replacements with pens.

The other type looks like a mouse, but has a lens with a crosshair attached to it. This is useful for CAD work or if you want to trace hand-drawn pictures very precisely. (Edit: In case it's not obvious, the tablet will recognise the pen or mouse at a distance, so you can actually put e.g. a drawing on it and trace the lines with the pen.)

For painting, neither is particularly useful. Your existing mouse will probably do a better job (unless you have very specific requirements) and you can use both devices at the same time. Also, as far as I know, neither type is available for Bamboo tablets. You can get both for the more expensive Intuos (and by extension, Cintiq, although that makes no sense at all) lines though.
    Last edited by Danny the Fool; 12-20-2009 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith Tramayne View Post
    I also cut a piece of transparency film for laser printers to fit the size of my small tablet. And then I scotch tape the film to it. I change this film every six months. That way I don't scratch the surface. And, the nib of my pen lasts forever. You can buy this plastic cover piece from Wacom but it's a lot more expensive

Judith
    Yikes, does it really get that badly scratched? Worn down?
    +I only see the good qualities in people. Not being faultless myself, I won't probe into the faults of others+

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Yikes, does it really get that badly scratched? Worn down?
    Depends on what you do with them I guess. My Cintiq (with which the transparency trick wouldn't work very well) has one small scratch, and that's from me not being particularly careful with where I store it and how I put it in that place sometimes...

The old Graphire tablets had a different surface than the current Bamboo and Intuos models though. Some of them actually came with a replaceable transparent cover. I have one of those and it does seem to scratch more easily, but same as with Judith's Graphire we're looking at older than ten years here and I guess if you use a tablet every day for ten years, then it will eventually show.

Not by other people - just me. I have a very heavy hand and usually press pretty hard. Plus I'm not always careful. Stuff gets on my tablet (LOL)

The film keeps it clean.

Judith
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne

I've had my Wacom Bamboo tablet for 2 years and use it pretty much everyday and I don't have one scratch on the tablet itself and I haven't needed to replace the nib of the pen once.

There's no way it should be issue when thinking of buying one: unless you're gonna start using a knife on the tablet for some reason...each to their own...

Plus I just use my regular mouse along with the tablet and it works perfectly (particularly handy for zooming in and out with the mousewheel).
    This is what we find:
    The hope that springs eternal,
    Springs right up your behind.

cLuMsY_Joel's Flickr Portfolio

Ah okay, I see now. *Whew*

I guess my only issue now is desk space, I have a 2.5ft wide desk, 1ft is my keyboard, half a foot for my computer tower, and even more for the mouse pad. And right after the mouse pad is the wall lol, so it'll be a little cramped.

Need more workspace Captain!!!

I just purchased the new Bamboo Pen and Touch. It also has a touch screen on it so you don't really need a mouse anymore.
    I also have a Genius that works much like the Bamboo for a lot less money.