Name:  rcb_strange_compliments.png
Views: 5144
Size:  296.2 KB

Alright, after that long discussion about how RCB should work in the cyan thread, I decided to do some experimenting with it to find out how it actually works as it stands now. I discovered some interesting and unexpected things about how colors blend and what "primaries" are in the system.

To start a created a list of basic paints, choosing colors off the wheel that looked "pure" to me: red, orange, yellow, green, cyan, blue, purple, magenta. I made sure to dial down these colors chroma values a bit, so they wouldn't be saturated as to be unreal. Then I set to blending them in pairs. What I discovered is that two pairs emerged as "best" compliments. Those were orange/cyan and yellow/magenta. They were the two out of my set which when mixed gave the most neutral results. The more surprising out come however was that when I mixed color with those pairs (orange/magenta, yellow/cyan, cyan/magenta) I could generate any or all of the other colors in my basic set. Throw in black and white and I could mix any color I needed. I could not so easily pull that off with the traditional primaries (RBY) or the subtractive color model primaries (CMY) by themselves.

I'm making no qualifications about this being "real." It's just how RCB seems to work at the moment. I just thought it might be valuable to share this discovery with the other users. I don't know that I can call this a bug, it's just quirky. But give it a try yourself and see.