Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flip Horizontal in AR3 Pro...

Flip Horizontal in AR3 Pro...

Is there a way to map a quick key to a permanent horizontal flip ?

I love the way AR3 Pro can flip the image by pressing the H key to toggle on/off, however sometimes I would like to flip the image and paint on the flipped side as it is easier painting on my right hand side.

At this moment the only way I know how is to select all > transform all layers > Flip Horizontal > Deselect all. Can I set a key to do all of this or is there a quicker way ?

Loving AR3 by the way.

Clayton

Gallery
    View images
    I'm not sure if it's the best way, but if you have a Wacom tablet (and probably other as well, just as long as you can set up function keys to do key strokes) it's possible to be able to just press a button to have Artrage do this. I doubt it's possible to set up a single keyboard key to do all this though, but perhaps there's some hidden option I don't know about

On Windows you can set things up like this:
    In the settings for your tablet make sure you are editing the settings for the function keys and preferably are just editing the settings for Artrage so you don't have strange behavior in other programs. Then set up one (or two if you want to have both horizontal/vertical transformation) of the buttons to do the following keystroke:
    Ctrl+a+Ctrl+Alt+Shift+t+h+Enter+Ctrl+d

(The plus sign signifies that it's a new key, so don't press the + In this example I've changed Artrages keystrokes so that Ctrl+Shift+Alt+T transforms all layers rather than just the current, but otherwise just replace it with another keystroke you've set up for transform all layers. Exchange the h key for v if you want vertical transformation.)

Cheers feneur, the shortcut keys is pretty much what I've been doing. Maybe this will be included in future versions.

Clayton

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by feneur View Post
    In this example I've changed Artrages keystrokes so that Ctrl+Shift+Alt+T transforms all layers rather than just the current, but otherwise just replace it with another keystroke you've set up for transform all layers. Exchange the h key for v if you want vertical transformation.)

Why wouldn't you simply click Edit in the Menu Bar, Transform All Layers?

Seems EZ-ier than trying to hold down all those keys to transform all layers.

Judith
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne

I also would like H (or whatever the shortcut) to be a permanent flip on all layers.
    Seems strange that a simple flip operation (Transform all layers) need some processing (ArtRage is busy...). I guess it's just an operation on X for all pixel outputs (XX = X + K). Maybe it's because of lighting ...

Gallery
    View images
    Technically flipping can be expressed as scaling and AR can already do that with the canvas, so I guess it wouldn't be a lot of effort to implement... but I guess it's not something you do naturally with most media, and maybe that's a reason why it's not on the list. You can turn over a sheet of thin paper and paint on the back, though, so maybe there's a chance it'll be introduced?

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Judith Tramayne View Post
    Why wouldn't you simply click Edit in the Menu Bar, Transform All Layers?

Seems EZ-ier than trying to hold down all those keys to transform all layers.

Judith
    Well, yeah. And personally that's probably how I'd do it as it's not something I do very often. After all one can press and hold the H/V key if one wants to paint a few strokes with the image flipped and then go back to unflipped. The reason why all those keystrokes in a row can be useful is if you map one of the keys of your tablet to do all those keystrokes, then it's just to press one button. And that's easier than going up to the menu etc. As I said I doubt it's something I personally will use often enough to make it worth taking up a key on my tablet though.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by feneur View Post
    After all one can press and hold the H/V key if one wants to paint a few strokes with the image flipped and then go back to unflipped.
    You mean, this actually works? It doesn't work at all for me (Mac OS X here), the cursor freezes for as long as I hold H or V and I can't paint at all while holding either of these keys.

Gallery
    View images
    Works fine for me. I'm using Windows XP though, so that might explain the difference. I once had a crash when pressing the H key for too long though, but that could be due to something completely different as it was the only time that happened.

Doesn't work for me on MacOS 10.6.2.
    Cursor freezes also.