ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Girl I Once Met

Gallery
    View images

A Girl I Once Met

and then proceeded to stalk. Sorta. I mean, I graduated from a class of 13. She went to the same school, was a year younger than me, we never talked. We know each other. No, she doesn't know I did this, no, I never intend to tell her. also, I'll probably never see her again: I graduated in the Middle East and moved to America, she moved to Holland. I have no reason to go there.

Anyways, enough creepification. These are just the basic paints. I'll blend them later. I just got done taking my last final, and I'm set, I can't fail any of my classes this semester, so I'm happy and tired, and I wanted to paint a little to unwind. =D Hope you all like it. Critiques are always welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mnoir.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	37935  
    Early to bed early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes - Orson Scott Card

Gallery
    View images
    Very nice start Gray! Is this all from memory of her or do you have a picture? Any reputable stalker would have many pictures...LOL! Very impressive especially if from memory. Keep pluggin away at it.
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Gallery
    View images
    Grey, your painting always look so done. I think it is perfect, specially the unfinished eyes. Now you will blow me away with the next step and then the next.... sigh....

Gallery
    View images
    @Sketchism71: Thanks! This is from a reference picture, but it's just off of facebook, although her picture is probably in the year book as well... Here's plug number 2.

@Squirls: Thanks for your kind words, I'm glad you like the eyes, I struggle with them so much, you have no idea. I hope I haven't messed them up too badly here.

As to the picture: I'm really not happy with the nose. Any ideas? I've done a little blending here and there, but it's far from done. I also need to mess with eyelashes. She has quite a set. I so hope I don't ruin it there...

Name:	mnoir.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	38039  
    Early to bed early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes - Orson Scott Card

Gallery
    View images
    Coming along nicely so far Gray, lovely nose and lips.
    Sandyg.

Gallery
    View images
    @sandyg: Thanks! I think I've worked the nose out to my satisfaction, but the eyelashes are driving me up the wall. Hers are very well defined, but I can't get even close without turning the whole thing into a farce. Sigh. Positive things: AR3 rocks. This is 100% AR3. Getting close to 10 layers.

Critiques always welcome!

Name:	mnoir2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	38043  

Gallery
    View images
    It' very good. I like all the different styles of this in development. All good. It just keeps getting better and better.
    Secret on noses... don't outline them... make them appear out of shading and hue changes not outlining. The philtrum should narrow as it approaches the nose and is usually not so profound as we like to make them... subtle is good.
    Having said all that, you are doing a great job and look forward to seeing the final. She looks to be a great beauty.

Gallery
    View images
    See? what did I tell ya? each one looks good all by itself.... Mebbe that is why I don't do better... I stop too soon? When you figure out the lashes let me know or better yet explain it here. I can't get them to look real (and I know you won't stop til you do)

Gallery
    View images
    Hey that's my sister!

Gallery
    View images
    Well... The eyes are slightly too large, the eyelashes are also a tad unreasonable, the micro fissures in her lips are a little weird looking and I think the philtrum(?) is crooked. Not to mention that the hair is nearly completely without detail. I'm leaving it.

@gzairborne: Thanks for your suggestions. I think I've got it down to where I'm mostly happy with it. I could tinker forever. Yeah, she is a great beauty. Not much more though, never really did anything more interesting than walk around and look good. Rather strange character really, although I'm hardly one to speak.

@Squirls: Well, I dunno. I've spent over 5 hours on this so far, haven't really been keeping a working tally. As for the eyelashes, I'm just quitting. I'm sorta happy, and I'm just gonna leave it. As for the process... It was a mess. If you try this and don't get good (or even similar) results, please forgive me, I tried so many things that there is no way I'll get all the steps in. At any rate, I created a new layer, outlined the eyes in black paint, (everything here is paint and knife except for one area of airbrush under the nose) Then I reduced the size of the brush to 1% and started the sweeps out and worked them closer to the eye to get that sharp look. Ultimately though they were too thick and I wound up merging them with the painting below and then working them back in with a narrow pallet knife in places, and then back out again with the sharp pallet knife. Best of luck! I tried other things as well, but I think I mostly undid that. I dunno. Next time I might figure it out.

@Wozza: Oh my. Don't tell her, bro! Haha, thanks for viewing!

Name:	mnoir2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	38239