ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: AR 3 wavy not smooth lines

AR 3 wavy not smooth lines

I just upgraded to AR3 studio from AR 2.5. I've started messing around with it and it won't draw smooth lines. No matter what line tool I try the lines it draws is slightly wavy, it won't draw a fluid line. Any ideas about why this is? Thanks.

Hi there!

Could you possibly attach a screenshot of the behavior you're seeing? Also, what input device ( mouse or make and model of tablet ) are you using? What operating system and version are you using?
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Hi there!

Could you possibly attach a screenshot of the behavior you're seeing? Also, what input device ( mouse or make and model of tablet ) are you using? What operating system and version are you using?
    I'm using a HP TX2500Z wacom enabled tablet running Vista Home Premium 64bit SP1. Nothing has changed on the computer between using AR2.5 and AR3. AR2.5 still draws smooth lines.

On the screen shot see how the lines slightly waves back and forth? They were all very quick strokes, not slow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wavy.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	37923  

Here's a screen shot from the old version for comparison.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wavy2.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	37924  

Thanks for that. I see you're using a different tool in both versions, the Felt Pen tool in AR 2.5 and the Ink Pen tool in Studio. These two tools have different underlying technology which will not behave in the same way ( The new Ink Pen has a 'smoothing' dial by the way, so for that tool, you can set it higher to give your strokes a progressively smoother look ).

For a better comparison, select the same tool in Studio - second arc of tools, third from the left ( there is a tool tip 'felt pen' ) or press M on your keyboard.

Also, check your tablet settings in 2.5 and Studio. In 2.5 check Edit -> Preferences. Look at precise tablet mode ( probably turned off in 2.5 ). Match that setting in Studio via Edit -> Preferences -> Input Device then click Ok and restart ArtRage.

Let us know how it goes, I hope that helps!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Actually in the first pic the thinner lines is the ink pen and the thicker lines are the felt pen. It does the wavy thing with all of the line tools. I'll check the settings in AR3 I think I turned the precise tablet mode off and it slightly helped but still does it. The pic is from after I turned it off.

Do you by any chance have a file in your ArtRage 2.5 resources folder called no_ink.inf?

c:\program files(x86)\ambient design\artrage 2\resources\ <-- in this folder
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Do you by any chance have a file in your ArtRage 2.5 resources folder called no_ink.inf?

c:\program files(x86)\ambient design\artrage 2\resources\ <-- in this folder
    Nope, I don't.

Ok, making sure the settings are the same from v2.5 to v3 seems to have fixed the problem. Any difference now I think is in my head.

Thanks for that! We have also purchased an HP TX unit and are also looking into a problem which appears to relate to the n-trig input drivers currently.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design