Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's best video software for creating ArtRage tutorials (Windows)

Gallery
    View images

What's best video software for creating ArtRage tutorials (Windows)

I've taken advantage so many of the great video tutorials out there for doing every manner of thing in ArtRage. I'd like to make a few too, but I have no idea how to go about it.

I'm in the Windows environment. Are there "the best' software packages for doing this kind of thing in an easy, straightforward way, and that don't require selling the house to own the software?

Pointing me in the right direction will be most appreciated. Opinions about pros and cons of alternative software packages would be great too.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Gallery
    View images
    Windows Movie maker works and comes free with Windows, though I wouldn't say it's the "best" thing for it. It is fairly easy to use however and being free, one can't really complain I suppose.

I use (and enjoy) Sony Vegas Pro for my videos, though you'll be spending some cash for that.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks SOS: Maybe I worded this question poorly or maybe I'm just slow on the uptake (neither of which will be surprising )????

I'm looking for software to capture your movements inside of AR like you used when you produced, for example, the tutorial on making the gift boxes, or like those ones Judith posts on You Tube. I want to capture the screen and replay the development of the painting the same way you do. I can do that in Windows Movie Maker?????
    Last edited by byroncallas; 12-17-2009 at 07:43 PM.
    //

Gallery
    View images
    I would go with what gamers use.

FRAPS. http://www.fraps.com/

It's very resource friendly, so it doesn't interfere much with your painting application.

Jer

Gallery
    View images
    JK and Sweedie. Thank you both. I will check them both out.
    //

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by byroncallas View Post
    Thanks SOS: Maybe I worded this question poorly or maybe I'm just slow on the uptake (neither of which will be surprising )????

I'm looking for software to capture your movements inside of AR like you used when you produced, for example, the tutorial on making the gift boxes, or like those ones Judith posts on You Tube. I want to capture the screen and replay the development of the painting the same way you do. I can do that in Windows Movie Maker?????

My mistake, I thought this thread was a continuation of another one started the other day that asked that very question (seen here: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ight=camstudio). You'll find a number of suggestions there for video capturing software. The software I mentioned here was editing the video after it was recorded.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    LOL. Thanks SOS. I'll go explore that thread. Much appreciated.
    //

Gallery
    View images
    Byron, another possibility to check out before buying anything, is TechSmith´s Camtasia. I´ve never used it, but I´ve seen what it can do.

(I only know about because I´ve been using their product SnagIt for many years. It´s not much use now, but when I was teaching and creating web pages, it was super.)

Just something else to burden you.
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

Gallery
    View images
    Hey Scott, appreciate the burden. It's great to have options and I will check it out. Thanks much. And happy holidays.
    //

Gallery
    View images
    If you plan to do a lot of screen recording then Camtasia is a worthwhile investment, but you'll be paying for a lot more than you'll ever use (it's really a full e-Learning studio - at least the PC version is). Still, it's great that you can do your edits (to both audio and video) in the same software, the convenience factor is high.

Another option is Jing, which is made by the same company (Techsmith). Jing was designed for taking short screencasts to quickly share with friends and co-workers, and it hooks up nicely to their free hosting service called Screencast.com. You can record your screen and when you're done you can save it to your desktop or you can immediately upload the video to screencast.com and it gives you either a url or the embed code for pasting the video into an email or a blog page or a website.

Jing and screencast.com both have free versions. The free version of Jing lets you save your videos in swf format. The paid version (still very cheap) lets you save in both swf and mp4 formats, up to 30 frames per second (and HD). The paid version of screencast.com just increases your storage size, I think (I have both, you'd think I'd know this...)

The main limitation of Jing is that it has a 5 minute recording limit, for both the free and paid versions. And there are no built-in tools for editing the video once its done, so if you want to edit out pauses or burps you've got to use third-party software.

However, if you use the paid version and save your video as mp4 (same format that YouTube uses), you can convert that to wmv (with any number of free conversion tools, just google "mp4 to wmv") and import it into Windows Movie Maker, and do your edits there. And you can stitch together multiple Jing clips to create a longer screencast.

I use a mac and there are a few more (and cheaper) options for mac users (Screenflow and Camtasia for the Mac being the main ones - I'm a Screenflow user myself...)

I personally would love to see more of the talented people on this forum recording their paintings and their process, it would make an invaluable addition to the forum.