ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faster way to colorize BW drawings leaving the linework intact?

Faster way to colorize BW drawings leaving the linework intact?

What is the fastest way to do comic book style coloring in ArtRage 3?
    Let's say I have a black and white high rez artwork. I scan it in and I import it as a layer in AR3. Now I wan t to make the white in the layer transparent, and to paint on a layer under this so I have color on the bottom layer and crisp, untouched black linework on the upper layer..
    what is the besta nd fastest way to do this? Thanks!

For colourizing black and white artwork it's easiest if you add a layer above the linework, and make the layer blend mode of the new layer 'tint' (or multiply). Then you can safely paint overtop the black and white layer, and the new colours will allow the black linework to show through.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Thanks Andy but that works only if I have all colors on a single tinting layers. What I want is multiple color layers so I can for example airbrush in a sky on layer 1, then colorize a horse on layer 3, and then colorize the rider on layer 3 (on top).
    My current workaround is to select the black lines with the magic wand but that's tedious and I'm sure I'd miss some black lines in complex artwork...
    A

I do the opposite (but it's the same idea, really). I put my line work on the top layer and set it to use the Multiply Blend mode. Then I put all of my color layers underneath that layer. I used this method for all of the image links below.

Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

If you put the scanned layer on top and set it to multiply and too many scan errors or too much of the paper structure show through, you could also try to set it to "Darken" instead. Oh, and don't scan your line art in black&white mode...

Hi,

You can use a freeware PS plug-in/filter made by mehdi(eraser classic)
    here you can select a single color to be transparent with a color-picker
    You can set the tolerance higher to have more colors related to the one chosen to be transparent.
    Mehdi filters can be found here http://www.mehdiplugins.com/

Hans

Thanks guys, I'll use the PS plugin, it sounds brilliant. What I did now was simply to do the transparency in Photoshop and import the image into AR3, but I'd like to do everything within AR3.

Also try SomeoneSane's suggestion. Having the multiply blend mode on the lineart layer, above your other layers means you *can* have many paint layers beneath it, with the lineart appearing as though it is on a transparent layer.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Yep, change the lineart layer to tint or colour or multiply... black and white is easy

BUT be aware that it tends to hide the metallics, so if you want to add those, paint OVER the lineart and use tint (etc) for the metallics.

THanks Andy. Yes, both methods work. My compliments for an exceptional software-- three days and I'm already finishing my second cover with AR3!