ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Question on selecting layers

Question on selecting layers

Is there a current way to select a particular layer and switch to it straight from the canvas, similar to changing colors with the color picker from the canvas?

-Kevin

Not sure what you're asking. Normally you open the layer pod and simply click on the layer you want to use and it will be active.

Judith
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    https://www.artrage.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne

Yes, not sure what your asking. But you can select any layer to paint on by simply selecting it in the layer panel. The layer panel opens by selecting the layer pod. The layer panel is where you manage what layer you are painting on. You can hide layers, change their opacity and texture, duplicate them, export them, transform them, lock unpainted areas from accepting paint, apply blend modes universally to a layer, reposition layers in the layer stack, merge one or more layers together, etc. The layer panel is the place to go for all things "layer" and it is quite robust.
    // "Appreciation fosters well-being. Be well." - Byron
    //
    My ArtRage Paintings Here
    // My Comprehensive AR4 & 3 Thread Here
    64 bit Win8Pro, 16GB Ram, Intel i7 Quad Core - 8 threads; Wacom Intuios 4

Quote Originally Posted by byroncallas View Post
    Yes, not sure what your asking. But you can select any layer to paint on by simply selecting it in the layer panel. The layer panel opens by selecting the layer pod. The layer panel is where you manage what layer you are painting on. You can hide layers, change their opacity and texture, duplicate them, export them, transform them, lock unpainted areas from accepting paint, apply blend modes universally to a layer, reposition layers in the layer stack, merge one or more layers together, etc. The layer panel is the place to go for all things "layer" and it is quite robust.
    I am asking whether or not you can switch layers from a point selection on the canvas similar to photoshop.

Google - Selecting layers buried under other layers
    Click on the first link and see "Selecting layers buried under other layers" section:

I'm working with many layers and needing to switch quite frequently. It would be great to only open the layer panel when changes to the layers are needed, so to better utilize the minimalistic approach of AR3's interface. You may think this is a meaningless thing to have, but it really helps work flow and organization.

And before anyone says, "Just use photoshop", I love ArtRage too much to switch. Also, I can't afford or justify buying photoshop when GIMP does everything I need from photoshop.

BTW, every program I use on a daily basis is layer base. I'm pretty sure I have a good handle on how layers work. Hence the forum name AutoKAD (Autodesk - AutoCAD) Thanks for the explanation, though.

I think I know what you're looking for AutoKAD. Just to be sure I'm understanding things correctly, it's like when one is using the Move tool in Photoshop. With a number of layers with content on them, it can become confusing as to which layer one is looking for. To make it easier to find, one can select the Move Tool, hold down the "Ctrl" key and then click on the screen over an area with content on it. The layer with the content that the user clicked over is automatically selected within the layer stack, allowing the user to then make whatever changes to that layer as needed. It's a very fast and useful feature that I make use of quit often.

While not quit the same, I've been using the Transform Tool to do this (one must have the "select layer" setting turned on for the tool, for it to work). With the Tool selected I left click over an area on my canvas that has content on it, which is then selected by the Transform Tool for editing. Unfortunately, the layer stack does not align itself to the selected layer, but it does get highlighted within the stack. So by scrolling the layer menu around you'll find the layer you have selected with the Transform Tool more easily.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    I think I know what you're looking for AutoKAD. Just to be sure I'm understanding things correctly, it's like when one is using the Move tool in Photoshop. With a number of layers with content on them, it can become confusing as to which layer one is looking for. To make it easier to find, one can select the Move Tool, hold down the "Ctrl" key and then click on the screen over an area with content on it. The layer with the content that the user clicked over is automatically selected within the layer stack, allowing the user to then make whatever changes to that layer as needed. It's a very fast and useful feature that I make use of quit often.

While not quit the same, I've been using the Transform Tool to do this (one must have the "select layer" setting turned on for the tool, for it to work). With the Tool selected I left click over an area on my canvas that has content on it, which is then selected by the Transform Tool for editing. Unfortunately, the layer stack does not align itself to the selected layer, but it does get highlighted within the stack. So by scrolling the layer menu around you'll find the layer you have selected with the Transform Tool more easily.
    Yes, this is what I am talking about. Thanks for the work around tip.

The other thing is dealing with overlapping (buried) layers. You probably know, but in photoshop (when using the move tool) right-clicking a point brings up a tiny list of the layers by your cursor that are present at that point so you can switch to one of those layers by selecting from that list. It is extremely useful in speeding up work flow, while helping you keep your work organized. Thus, making any future edits less of a headache.

Would be great if this was available in ArtRage using a key-press + left-click ( ~ + left-click ).

Thanks Someonesane!

No Problem.

I don't often use the Right Click method, because of the way I structure my work, but having a way to quickly locate a layer is definitely something I consider useful. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing some sort of shortcut feature for it.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.