Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Brush Heads under Sticker Sheets

Gallery
    View images

Question about Brush Heads under Sticker Sheets

Hey guys had a query.

In the Sticker Sheet dialog box, you have a section called Brush Heads.

Is there a way to apply a particular brush head to your oil brush or watercolor brush so that you can paint with that pattern?

Just curious, preciate any info

Mike
    Mbrienza

Gallery
    View images
    I suppose not. Oil and watercolors are algorithmically defined, while stickers are based on bitmaps. There is a base incompatibility.
    Umberto

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Picaso41
    As a suggestion you could paint with the brushhead in oil, make that into a stencil and then paint your watercolour through the stencil

Gallery
    View images
    Can you design a brush head and then use it in different mediums... short answer no... but, now here is the good news... it doesn't work that way.
    You design a brush head and then just use it. It will simulate whatever you made it to simulate. You can design a cool watercolor brush, but you won't need to switch to watercolor to use it... it will just look like watercolor when applied. Hope that makes sense.

Stickers in the object spray and most likely in the brush type are kind of independent and sovereign rulers of medium because they are not bound to any medium they can be designed to simulate almost any medium and they will, through the genius of artrage react with other mediums in amazing and beautiful ways. There is one called cotton candy that acts like a creamy pastel. Lay some down and then lay some watercolor on top and all of a sudden you would think you had begun with watercolor. The designing of brushes is pretty much infinite you will discover and is only limited by our imaginations. The design of the brush actually makes the simulation of different kinds of mediums. Mr. Paint showed a portrait where he used different sticker brushes right on top the oil portraits. Look for the use of a little crosshatch brush adding texture there. Sweedie is also doing amazing things with them. The resulting painting could be guessed to be gouache?watercolor? oil ? It is not really dependent upon one type of medium and they work extremely well with whatever medium you want to employ them together with.

Be sure to try turning the shadow off on some of the brushes to see how they react to the canvas in their flattened state. With shadows they can have a whole different texture and look. Like fur. Turning off the shadow will get closer to a medium look. Brush type stickers will interact with any other medium you have on the canvas. They can be so designed as to mimic watercolor, or oil, or chalk, or soft creamy pastels, or ink. Also if you click on spray variation then on the green square there is a place to choose between set up settings for image brush and set up settings for object spray.
    For medium simulation you would probably want to choose object spray.
    Try toggling between those two settings and you will see how some of the brush heads change when they become sprayed objects.

You could also copy an area on your painting and then make a sticker brush out of it. or design your own brushes and see what they do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spray-variation.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	447.6 KB 
ID:	37878  

Last edited by screenpainter; 12-17-2009 at 02:02 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    All of this is making my head spin. I think I'm going to be spending a lot of time reading all the suggestions posted by our resident geniuses. Thanks to all of you who are so generous in sharing what you have been finding. It seems to me that if we all had the wherewithall to just sit and play with Art Rage, we would not see the light of day for months.

Gallery
    View images
    I totally agree Bobbi, my head is already spinning and I have only looked at a few thing but I love it. Please can I have more time off work to find my way around lol
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Gallery
    View images
    True, keep in mind we have been playing for quite a few months and truly we went through a long process on learning and using stickers... well most of us did. A few took to it like ducks to watercolor. Those techie types. Others of us took longer... way longer. You will get it soon. There are/ will be videos. Judith has one on making stickers.

Gallery
    View images
    Just wanted to add to GZ's post
    Make sure you create your sticker brushes in the brightest most saturated RED you can. You will then be able to use the colour picker to choose colour when you paint with them

Gallery
    View images
    EeeeAaaaa, so much still to conquer! Great explanation Albert.
    Susan Murtaugh satisfied user (ArtRage)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzi54241/

This is definitely worth conquering. It will open up literally endless possibilities for all your brush head needs. I think there is a simple tutorial by SomeoneSane knocking about somewhere which taught me how to do it during the beta. Just follow that tutorial and you'll be able to make any bitmap based brush head. Once that is sussed, it isn't a huge step to add the 3rd dimension - depth and gloss properties etc.

EDIT: Brilliantly explained by Albert here!!