ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: AR3 demo doesn't start

AR3 demo doesn't start

Hello,

i downloaded the AR3 demo to my MacMini and installed it. When i launch the application a dialog box appears:

Error
    An error occurred on attempting to read/write data from/to a file stream.
    ArtRage failed to load the ImmutableStrings resource file, you may need to reinstall the application.

When i confirm that dialog a second one appears:

Error
    An error occurred on attempting to create an object.

When i "ok" this dialog, too, no window or dialog opens. I have a menu bar only with "ArtRage Studio Pro Demo". When i close the application with Cmd-q the crash dialog opens.

I saw that in a previous thread an user had a similar problem and solved it by removing a preference file, but this file doesn't exist so far.

The resource file mentioned in the error message is available in the package.

BTW, the OS is Snow Leopard 10.6.2, German. I created another user and switched his language to English, but that didn't changed anything.

Hi there,

The demo only supports English currently but it's possible there is a problem running under a different language. The second user will still potentially be reading the language resource from the previous instance. We're working on updating the demo at the moment to support further languages.

The Immutable Strings file should be available regardless however. Could you right click the application and select 'Show Package Contents', then open the Contents/Resources/Languages folder and make sure that ImmutableStrings.gsf exists? If it does, please run a permissions check and repair in case the application is unable to access its bundle contents. If not, then there was a problem installing.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thank you for your response.

In my opinion an english only version is ok.

I checked the content of the app. The resources file is there, but what makes me wonder is, that the permissions of many files in the application are set to 0740 (owner is my admin user). If you like i can provide the output of ls -lR.

The permission check using the disk utility showed no problems.

I looked at the demo dmg I downloaded before buying again and indeed, all the files are only group-readable. Directory permissions are fine, but if you install as admin user the files will belong to group admin, and non-admin users won't be able to read them.

This is not the case with the full version dmg, there all files are world-readable.

I guess you can either change the permissions (in Terminal as your admin user something along the lines of: chmod -R a+r "/Applications/ArtRage Studio Pro Demo.app") or just remove it from /Applications and make a new copy on the desktop of your non-admin user, or in some other place that you can write to as the non-admin user.

AR3 demo doesn't start (solved)

Jippiieh, chmod made it work.

Thank you very much

I'll check the demo resources here and update them, we are working on a few things currently so I'll roll this in to the new build.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.