ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: 2.2 update on linux

2.2 update on linux

Ok so far it runs & downloads but if you touch the scrollbar on the right you'll get a error and then the install update and close buttons don't work.

Also (I would think) you will need to change the file permissions of the updater or you get this error message.

My question to the Devs is do you have a download limit or something because after the thirded download (yes I played with the scrollbar twice :x) it doesn't download the updates anymore? Get the beep/chime sound and some blank lines in the scroll area (wine prob no doubt), it is connecting as it doesn't do that if I disconnect my connection.

PS. Any chance of having normal updates as well or better still full installers? :wink:

Jumped into windows and installed artrage...

Seems my key has been auto banned, who do I talk to to get this fixed?! (EDIT: emailed tect support, hope someone works weekends )

So other linux users (I know there are quite a few) be careful! (grab the manual update) :?

Email support@ambientdesign.com and they can sort it out for you
    Graham Fisher
    Email: Home cripster99@gmail.com

Homepage: artwheel.org

Mobile: 021-029-75930

Artrage 2.6
    Artrage 3.5
    Artrage 4.04

Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth
    Win7
    4GB 64bit
    sp2

MikeRage Guest
    Hi Aldrik,

Yes, at the moment the updater doesn't work in Wine; there's something different Wine does with reporting permissions that makes the updater think no files have write permission! I've not heard of the scrollbar bug before, the solution there is not to use the scrollbar I guess. You can still see the reported text by looking at the UpdateResults.log file in your AR2 install folder.

I'd recommend you look at the Linux thread:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...t=107&start=60

as this has some information on a possible way to get round the permissions issue, though as I mention there, I can't guarantee it works, without testing it! If it doesn't, there's another possibility we can try, but so far I've not receievd any info on that one way or the other.

If you PM me with your reg code, I can look into why your key is having problems. There is a limit of three downloads in one day, but auto-banning does take a lot of download attempts before it happens! Did you retry a very large number of times?

Mike.

Thanks MikeRage PM sent. You guys should have Moderator/Admin under your names, not just in the forum index page.

I'm sure I can get the updater to work in wine. Just didn't know it would auto ban be so fast. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRage
    There is a limit of three downloads in one day, but auto-banning does take a lot of download attempts before it happens! Did you retry a very large number of times?
    Yup as I said I tried three times in a row. (doh!) :x

MikeRage Guest
    Just a quick note - it takes a lot more than 3 attempts to flag a key as bad. After three downloads in 24 hours, you should see the warning. After this, if you keep trying constantly (and it would take a LOT of retries!) the key can be flagged as bad, and dumped into the refuse list, which means that you then have to get in touch with us to fix it.

This leads me to wonder whether the updater on Wine is actually doing far more requests than it ought to for a single download request from the user...

Mike.

Thanks Mike, I gave the updater another try changed the file permissions, didn't work lol. I'll take my advice and get the manual update now.... Arh I see it still uses the updater. :x

This leads me to wonder whether the updater on Wine is actually doing far more requests than it ought to for a single download request from the user...
    Donno, it dose give the admin error permission four times (each time it is run, but I don't think it has anything to do with connection more times) in the terminal/konsole.

Copied the updated program from windows for now (:?), so I can play... But I'll keep trying.

MikeRage Guest
    Hi - yep, changing the permissions won't work, you can chmod the whole lot to 777 and it'll still fail. I'm really quite curious about what Wine is reporting; it's possible that it simply doesn't support the advanced permissions side of the Win32 API yet. If that's the case, the only fix would be to rename or delete the entire app and manual as described in the Wine thread.

Mike.

Hi - yep, changing the permissions won't work, you can chmod the whole lot to 777 and it'll still fail. I'm really quite curious about what Wine is reporting; it's possible that it simply doesn't support the advanced permissions side of the Win32 API yet. If that's the case, the only fix would be to rename or delete the entire app and manual as described in the Wine thread.

Mike.
    Oops spaced out over your instructions in Wine thread, because of the old posted dates I guess.