ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Intuos4 and Keyboard Shortcuts

Intuos4 and Keyboard Shortcuts

Hi,

I am now down to programing the keys on my Intuos 4 to work with AR3 Pro. Before attempting to link the Intous and AR3, I created some new keyboard shortcuts for some AR3 tools, etc. that I will use regularly.

They work perfectly from the keyboard, but AR3 does not recognize them from the Wacom. The Wacom displays the names of the shortcuts, but are unresponsive when pressed. From the keyboard is fine.

The Wacom reconized the standard Crtl+z to undo in AR3, etc. but none of the others.

I can't seem to figure out what is going on. Can you help, please?

Thanks,

Jim Gahl

Hi Jim,

Normally I would set the button I want to map to the shortcut to 'keystroke' in the Wacom control panel, then enter the shortcut key combination. Check that you've done that.

If that doesn't help, can you give me an example of a keyboard shortcut you've set up on one of your Intuos keys which doesn't work, and how you did it? I should be able to advise from there.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your quick response. I'll try to be brief, but give you all the details.

Downloaded most current Wacom Driver for Intous4- 6.1.2-5

Here is how I programmed the pad to work with AR3:

Opened Wacom Tablet Properties.
    Selected Intuos4M
    Selected Functions
    Selected ArtRage Studio Pro (Application)

For the first ExpressKey (Top) I slected Keystroke from the Dropdown

Entered O (to select Oil Brush) - OK

Named it Oil Brush - OK

Programmed the second and 3rd EspressKeys for Watercolor Brush (W) and Palette Knife (K).

Programmed the 4th button for Undo - Crtl Z and quit there.

Closed the Tablet Properties window. The correct text associated with the set up appeared on the Wacom.

When I click on the Oil Brush (O) on the Wacom, it does not change to the Oil Brush. It appears that nothing happens. Buttons 2 (Watercolor) and 3 (Palette Knife) behaved the same way. When I tried ExpressKey associated with the UNDO command, it worked.

I tried holding down the button I had programmed for the Oil Brush, and AR3 displays the resize cursor for the current brush, rather than switching to the new tool associated with the Wacom set-up.

While holding the ExpressKey associated with the Oil Brush (O), I can resize the brush on the fly.

Thanks for reading this epistle. I hope it gives you enough information to help me out.

Cordially,

Jim Gahl

Oh, yeah, I had the cursor set to display the picture of the tool..... Really cute!!!!!! I don't know if that might matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gahl View Post
    I tried holding down the button I had programmed for the Oil Brush, and AR3 displays the resize cursor for the current brush, rather than switching to the new tool associated with the Wacom set-up.

While holding the ExpressKey associated with the Oil Brush (O), I can resize the brush on the fly.
    This sounds like AR sees this as shift-dragging. Did you perchance map the ExpressKey to an uppercase O? I don't know how this works internally as I don't use app-specific settings with my tablet, but it is consistent with what happens when I hold Shift+O on my keyboard while dragging with the pen. Could you try setting it to a lowercase o?

Hey Danny,

A fool you are not! What a guy! Thanks for your tip. It did the trick. Awesome!

Ok, now a heads up for all the other peops out there..... The Shortcuts Option in the Edit menu opens a window with the current (and any you added shortcuts). If you look at the shortcuts for the tools, they are ALL UPPER CASE.

Also, if you export the shortcuts list to a file and open it with Notepad, they are also ALL UPPER CASE. Without thinking, I put in what I saw.

Problem solved! Thanks a bunch, Danny

Jim

This will have to go into the technical funnies section.
    --LES