Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plugins + Watercolor [AR3 Studio Pro]

Norton says this is a high risk site

Norton blocked the download of this and said it is a "High Risk" site.

Filter: Thredgeholder
    http://www.littleinkpot.co.uk/FreePlugins.htm

anyone else had this problem?

Can a filter be taken out of a Photoshop folder and placed into AR

I think nortons is being a bit over zealous, I have Mcafee's and it says it's OK. And Yes you can copy a plugin out of a photoshop folder and use it in Artrage. But not every plugin will work with artrage.
    Bumble on deviantART
    Bumble's Photos
    Friendship is the song in your heart and friends are the ones who sing it back to you when you forget the words.

Misterpaint, once again, thanks!!! With not having any Photoshop experience, I was not all that aware of using filters. I was curious though when I saw that Studio Pro had filter capabilities but had no idea as to how one would or could use them. I downloaded this and placed the filter file into my filter folder and then went through your steps. What a treat this was!!! I wasn't sure how to execute Thredgeholder but I was able to find how via the AR3 manual in the filter section. Viola!!! So cool and fun!!!!

OK with Norton 360

Jules, "Norton blocked and remove this when I downloaded it, said it was a risk"

I updated my Norton 360 about an hour ago.

I downloaded the file and scanned it, and then installed the plugin with no alerts from Norton.

I am using the Norton site check (not the parental one).

John Williams
    Last edited by John Williams; 01-01-2010 at 11:40 PM. Reason: add information

Not a huge problem, just a curiosity for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith Tramayne View Post
    My Computer, Hard Drive Letter, Program Files, Ambient Design, ArtRage Studio Pro, Resources, Filters folder
    I did this, and then went into ARSP and wanted to make sure that it was in the folder. I went into Tools > User Content > Open ArtRage Filters Folder, but it said that the folder was empty. I was a little surprised at this. I then went into Edit > Filters and the "Little Ink Pot" was there with a drop down menu containing Threadgeholder which worked beautifully.

Question: Is this how it should work? I would have thought that the Filters Folder would have something in it to show what plugins I had downloaded and then you use the plugin from that folder.

Like a previous user, I do not have PhotoShop experience so the concept is new to me, but I do diddle with computers a lot, so this seems unusual to me to have to then go somewhere else to find the application.
    TeresaW
    My Art blog can be found here and
    PaperTree's Images in the ArtRage Gallery can be found here.

not sure if this helps, but if you are using windows (vista for sure, probably XP too) there are two places that files can be stored. Some one can correct me if I'm wrong...

One is in the installation directory, where the actual program is (the one mentioned here already), and the other is in the

My Computer, Hard Drive, Users, Username, AppData, Roaming, Ambient Design, ArtRage Studio Pro, Resources, Filters folder.

Quite often User AppData filter is hidden, so you have to set up you computer to see the hidden files and folders.

The original location would make the filters available to all users on a multi-user computer, the second one would make the filters available only to the specific user who installed them. I think that a lot of programs are set up this way. If you installed in the main directory, the program knows they are there and assumes you do too. But the menu asks for the specific User's content, and since that's not where you put them, it says nothing is there.

Thank you - That was the answer

337_Lee you are a star! I looked in the other location and found it just as you said. I now know a little bit more about computers thanks to you. I kind of knew what you said, but it was in the periphery, of my comprehension as I have largely taught myself along the way. Now I understand it much better after seeing it in action. As I generally work alone I have just skimmed over the networking stuff until I needed it. Today was that day.

By the way, I got the filter to work and now I'm going to look into what other filters are available. Loving this learning curve, muchly.
    TeresaW
    My Art blog can be found here and
    PaperTree's Images in the ArtRage Gallery can be found here.

Thank you Lee. This is so informative for me also.

Thank you so much for this program.I finally figured out how to get it and use it lol I am not 1 of the smartest people when it comes to a computer lol.

Nicely laid out Tut and very much how I work myself as far as portraits go these days...

What I will say is that my CS4 filters plugin very nicely but could not find high pass or threshold which is my favourite way of getting it done.. I generally do this in photoshop even if painting in Painter... Painter does it too but results are never the same and it's pretty difficult to work with postage stamp sized previews... There are other solutions too in painter such as using the underpainting palettes...

However since CS plugs in so nicely (I have not tried PSP) one can use the photoscopy filter... in Filters > Sketch > Photocopy.... works like a charm for outlining.

What I would do here is make a copy of your first outline.... create a sandwich...

as follows

Per the tut import your image to a layer and apply the photocopy filter... then drop the layer to the canvas by using Ctrl + ALT + downarrow key. With the image flattened go ctrl + A to select the whole canvas, Ctrl + C to Copy and Ctrl + V to paste... this will dupe the layer. You may have to deselect afterwards, or hit return if the transform bounding box comes up... but in either case you should now have two copies.. set the uppermost layer to Multiply.... and you can use this as a kind of template as the image develops... drop the transparency to a suitable level... At this point I have to say that a lock layer function is still needed in AR along with a few other basics... but this is the bread for your sandwich...

As you mentioned you create layers between them with blend mode set to tint...or colorize or even color to suit...

Just a little more stuff you can try out with the tut if you have photoshop, psp or even with the free pluguin mentioned...

Hopefully I will get a chance to take AR for a proper test run in the next week or two but thats just a routine I normally use myself in AR.

Well done again...
    Last edited by zooreka; 01-12-2010 at 12:58 AM.