ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Suggestions for AR Studio 3.1

Suggestions for AR Studio 3.1

Bought Studio Pro yesterday. Played with it for the rest of the day. Impressive!

Of course, I immediately have suggestions for the next minor version. Which is not surprising, because I have been requesting these same things since version 2.

1. Please, please, please, support multiple styluses. Multitouch is the latest fashion, but I don't use it. Painter gets it right: it memorizes which tool was picked last with each unique Wacom stylus tip, and switches to it when I use that stylus. Wacom driver actually transmits unique stylus IDs with its data packets; you just need to look at them. I am reduced to using one tool at a time instead of flipping five without stopping to click at palettes, here!

2. Please, please, please support stylus tilt and bearing. Pencil and airbrush already do; why do the flat brush and the palette knife ignore the bearing? They always rotate to be perpendicular to the direction of the stroke, even though they *begin* aligned to the stylus bearing. I might be doing something wrong here, but I cannot find any setting to make them follow the stylus instead of the stroke. This seriously reduces the expressive power of both. You can do so much more with a flat brush than drag it along the canvas; you can stroke with the narrow edge, or make angles. AR3 brush still only drags along, and produces unseemly artifacts at the beginning of the stroke as it snaps to the direction of the stroke from the stylus bearing. It can be made a configurable option if need be, but I view it as an essential requirement.

3. Some way to quickly convert a selection into a stencil, and a stencil into a layer. Right now, editing stencils (masks) is still quite a hassle.

4. A way to make the underlying layers' bump map another layer's paper texture. Right now, if I put some paint on the canvas and then use some chalk on a layer above it, the chalk reacts to the default paper texture, and it'd be much better if it reacted to the ridges and bumps of the paint under it. That would allow effects like pencils on gessoed board, and other neat things. The current way is rather boring.

5. A flat watercolor brush!!! The only thing we have right now is a rather narrow round one. No way to make really nice flat washes.

6. A way to control the spread of the brush. Right now, the flat brush reacts a bit strangely to pressure: it starts too narrow and spreads too much.

7. A spattery airbrush.

8. How about controlling the bristle quality of the brushes? From a smooth, even nylon to coarse pig bristle, to a worn, uneven brush? I've used some real-life specimens of the latter to produce excellent grass, foliage and fur textures. OK, going out on a limb here...

Otherwise - terrific work there, team! Well worth the wait and well worth the money.

Thumbs up

I concur especially with points 1. and 2. Hopefully multiple pens and tilt are supported in the future. Those would be nice additions to already excellent program.

While painting yesterday I noticed that I swapped a lot between two tools (oil brush, palette knife). That made me wish for a hotkey to swap to the last used tool (with the exception of color picker as it's bound to a modifier key). Of course I may alleviate the issue with custom keybindings (one for brush, one for knife) but perhaps something along this would be useful.

I also looked into translating the application into my native language (just for fun!) but sadly I noticed the translation files are in some weird format. It might be nice if they weren't.

Customising the interface & '2.5 Mode'

I haven't bought Artrage 3 yet, I have merely been playing around with the demo.
    Unfortunately so far I haven't found the interface as easy or enjoyable to use as 2.5's.

*In 2.5 I like the way the tool options sit narrowly on the left, not taking up much room so you can keep going back and altering the state of your tool.
    In 3, you have the 'settings' tab, and 'presets' tab, which both take up quite a bit of room. It would be great to be able to 'narrow' these and stick them unobtrusively on the side.

*In 2.5 you have the stencils, tracing, and references tabs sitting on the bottom, where you have the option to hide them from view.
    In 3, there are small square panels for these, which are always there; I cannot find an option to make them retreat, without of course pressing 'enter' for the entire interface to disappear.
    I do not use these tools you see, so having the option to customise every part of your interface would be great.

*Also, there is something incredibly elegant about the way in which the panels retreat in 2.5; the simple click or tap on the green handle. 3 seems to lack this ease of use. Though I'm wondering if this is the price you pay for having more options.

*Finally, I think it would be an asset to Studio 3 Pro if you had a '2.5 Mode', where you can revert to using the previous interface - similar to Windows 7's 'XP' mode - only with the addition of the new tools and functionality.
    I would continue solely using 2.5 if it weren't for the new watercolour tools, and editability, which are fantastic.

I hope you find my suggestions somewhat useful and not just whiny.
    I love your product and have recommended it to many people. It is a leader in the market, and I have created some fantastic artwork with it so far.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    2. Please, please, please support stylus tilt and bearing. Pencil and airbrush already do; why do the flat brush and the palette knife ignore the bearing? They always rotate to be perpendicular to the direction of the stroke, even though they *begin* aligned to the stylus bearing. I might be doing something wrong here, but I cannot find any setting to make them follow the stylus instead of the stroke. This seriously reduces the expressive power of both. You can do so much more with a flat brush than drag it along the canvas; you can stroke with the narrow edge, or make angles. AR3 brush still only drags along, and produces unseemly artifacts at the beginning of the stroke as it snaps to the direction of the stroke from the stylus bearing. It can be made a configurable option if need be, but I view it as an essential requirement.

3. Some way to quickly convert a selection into a stencil, and a stencil into a layer. Right now, editing stencils (masks) is still quite a hassle.

4. A way to make the underlying layers' bump map another layer's paper texture. Right now, if I put some paint on the canvas and then use some chalk on a layer above it, the chalk reacts to the default paper texture, and it'd be much better if it reacted to the ridges and bumps of the paint under it. That would allow effects like pencils on gessoed board, and other neat things. The current way is rather boring.

5. A flat watercolor brush!!! The only thing we have right now is a rather narrow round one. No way to make really nice flat washes.

6. A way to control the spread of the brush. Right now, the flat brush reacts a bit strangely to pressure: it starts too narrow and spreads too much.

7. A spattery airbrush.

8. How about controlling the bristle quality of the brushes? From a smooth, even nylon to coarse pig bristle, to a worn, uneven brush? I've used some real-life specimens of the latter to produce excellent grass, foliage and fur textures. OK, going out on a limb here...
    I second all these suggestions most particularly no.5,7 &8

Advanced shadows. I know it may seem useless to many but if one is going to do shadows why not perspective and realistic fall offs.

http://www.alienskin.com/eyecandy/ex...ve-shadow.aspx

There was a discussion about this in the beta area and was brought up again in a post floating around here someplace. The AR team said they'd be taking it into consideration.

You can change individual layers texture so that tools react to them differently (so you can draw on a smooth surface, but have a visually rough canvas). Or am I misunderstanding what you're after here?

7. A spattery airbrush.

Have you tried any of the Brush presets for the Sticker Spray (see image attachment for examples). You can make your own as well, if you have ARSP (ArtRage Studio Pro).

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHazy View Post
    *In 2.5 I like the way the tool options sit narrowly on the left, not taking up much room so you can keep going back and altering the state of your tool.
    In 3, you have the 'settings' tab, and 'presets' tab, which both take up quite a bit of room. It would be great to be able to 'narrow' these and stick them unobtrusively on the side.

By Holding "Ctrl" and left click dragging on the panels drag tabs one can rescale the size of any floating panel (not to confused with the pods)(see attached image). Holding "Alt" and left click dragging will rotate the panels and holding "Shift" and left click dragging resets the changes on a panel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	305.4 KB 
ID:	37851
    Last edited by Someonesane; 12-17-2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Added attachment
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

You can change individual layers texture so that tools react to them differently (so you can draw on a smooth surface, but have a visually rough canvas). Or am I misunderstanding what you're after here?
    You are completely misunderstanding what I am after. I want the brush to leave marks on the depth texture created by the painting tools on the layer(s) below, not just any unrelated texture.

As for spatter airbrush - stickers are a poor man's substitute, they don't have the randomness or falloff of the real thing.

Lightbulb Saving Layouts

How about an option to save different layouts of the panels, pods, etc? With the various opportunities of arranging and customizing the different elements, I think it would be handy to be able to switch to different layouts just by clicking on a button or two.

Thanks again for such a great program!!

--Barbara